Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Missing iTunes music after upgrade to Monterey

I am trying the instruction given on this string earlier, and started Music while holding option key. It then asked me which file, and I chose the iTunes ".itl" file. I have had a spinning circle for over an hour. How long does this usually take? Do I give up and try again, or be patient? I guess I am wondering if I missed something.

iMac

Posted on Sep 13, 2022 11:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 14, 2022 7:43 AM

Yes, you need to open Music before you can attempt to import an XML file. If needs be hold down option while launching Music to create a new Music library. The default location for the library is ~/Music/Music where ~ is your home folder for your profile. If there is already a Music folder in this location you can try choosing this library first, or rename it so you can place your newly created library at that path.

Look at the modification dates of the two XML files. You want to use the newest one. Once Music is running use the menu options File > Library > Import Playlist... and select the XML file.

tt2

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 14, 2022 7:43 AM in response to DonnaC64

Yes, you need to open Music before you can attempt to import an XML file. If needs be hold down option while launching Music to create a new Music library. The default location for the library is ~/Music/Music where ~ is your home folder for your profile. If there is already a Music folder in this location you can try choosing this library first, or rename it so you can place your newly created library at that path.

Look at the modification dates of the two XML files. You want to use the newest one. Once Music is running use the menu options File > Library > Import Playlist... and select the XML file.

tt2

Sep 13, 2022 12:50 PM in response to DonnaC64

This method seems to fail for some users for reasons that are not yet clear. What are you migrating from? Is there a recently updated XML file in the iTunes folder or can you access the library in iTunes again to create one? Importing the XML into an empty library appears to work. Alternatively it may be possible to convert the .itl file to the .musiclibrary format using Catalina or Big Sur, without needing the media files. Do you have someone that could do that for you?

tt2

Sep 13, 2022 2:51 PM in response to turingtest2

I tried XML file, but it is frayed out and it won't let me choose it. I migrated from High Sierra. We hadn't used this for awhile! I do not know how to do the conversion you are talking about. There is a folder under iTunes named iTunes Music, and it has every file from iTunes. I just do not know what to do to get it into the new music app

Sep 14, 2022 7:34 AM in response to turingtest2

I do not have the library in High Sierra, I have upgraded the computer to Monterey. But I have a file in ~Music/iTunes/iTunes Music that contains all of the music files. Please bear with me, but I need a little more info to import the xml file. Do I open Music first? Right now there is no music library associated with it, because I was choosing the itl file to try to import it. There are 2 xml files. One is named iTunes library xml and the other is iTunes music library xml. If you could give me a step by step, that would be helpful. Thank you so much for helping me.

Missing iTunes music after upgrade to Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.