Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone SE 2022 broken camera after iOS updates

In the past few days i've experienced some awful things.

It all begins after a couple of months from the purchase of a brand new iPhone SE 2022, when iOS 15.6.1 got released. I decided to update quite instantly, but this was the worst decision in my life... After the update, my back camera showed only a black screen and the flashlight wasn't working either (as a consolation, the front camera was working -.-"). At first i thought it could've been a SW issue, but Apple technical support told me that their analisys showed it was a HW issue, so i was convinced of that (although in my mind I was still sure that it was a SW problem).

Yesterday iOS 16 came out, so i thought it may solve my issue, but with my disbelief also the front camera stopped working.

After an entire morning spent on the phone trying to get explanation and to organize an appointment with Genius Bar, I was truly disappointed in the knowing that my "theory" was wrong, but there was only one last experiment to do: downgrade to 15.6.1.

Some hours ago I downgraded the iPhone to iOS 15.6.1 (the one with only the broken back camera) and, surprise surprise, the front camera started working again... I was RIGHT! Apple released more than one buggy update, so I would like to know:

1) Has anybody faced this issue?

2) Do you know if it's possible to downgrade to iOS 15.5? Does it void warranty?

3) Will Apple ever fix these annoying bugs?

iPhone SE (Gen 3)

Posted on Sep 13, 2022 12:19 PM

5 replies

Sep 13, 2022 12:27 PM in response to justdoit1897

justdoit1897 wrote:

like to know:
1) Has anybody faced this issue?
2) Do you know if it's possible to downgrade to iOS 15.5? Does it void warranty?
3) Will Apple ever fix these annoying bugs?
  1. No. FWIW, I have had all three generations of the iPhone SE. Currently have the 3rd gen model. In all of this time I have not had any issues with either iOS updates or upgrades, and am currently running iOS 16.0.
  2. No. Apple removes the ability to downgrade soon after a new version is released. The downgrade window to 15.5 has long past.
  3. I'm assuming that that was a rhetorical question. No one here can answer what Apple will do or not do about any issues that come up with their products.

Sep 13, 2022 12:33 PM in response to justdoit1897

If it was a hardware issue were you not given the opportunity to have it replaced under the manufacture warranty (assuming you purchased it new or the warranty isn’t voided)? If it is a hardware issue then iOS updates won’t fix it and it should have been addressed when initially occurred. I know you’re saying it is suddenly fixed or was at some point but if the issue remains it would be in your best interest to have it replaced. No you can’t downgrade to iOS 15.5. No way for you to do it. If you were able to go back to iOS 15.6.1 then that is as low as you can go temporarily as the newest iOS 15 update is 15.7.

Apple addresses bugs with additional incremental updates. Doesn’t matter what phone brand you use bugs will always exist. That’s the nature of software and electronics. Not aware of it being a bug that affected all iPhones or all of a certain model so can’t speak on that. But if it’s a known massive bug issue then when an actual update addresses it the update will state so.

I assume you did troubleshooting with Apple so restarting the phone hasn’t helped correct? What other steps did they have you try? Honestly might still be a hardware issue that causes it to have issues with the updates but not sure. Are you against having it replaced?

Sep 13, 2022 12:42 PM in response to KaeBFly

Thanks to you all for the answers :-) .

As I said I'll send it anyway to repair center (since it's under warranty), but it was only my curiosity to know if it was a "common" issue.

The only problem is that where I live there are only 2 repair centers in the surroundings, so there are very long wait periods, and I can't stay without my phone, since it's a work tool.

Anyway, thanks again for the answers :-)

iPhone SE 2022 broken camera after iOS updates

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.