Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 16 iMessage bug- not update/sync

First of all, I have tried different solutions on iPhone, and Macbook Pro- nothing. For both of them, I have tried turning off iMessage and then on. Checked the "send from", forward message to, signed off and signed on Apple ID (only one Apple ID). Nothing. Restarted the iPhone and Macbook- iPhone several times. I also reset iOS network setting. Same result.

It works if I send a new message from the iPhone, Macbook, or iPad. Doesn't matter which one to send from, it will show up on all devices. But one problem is- if I delete the message from any one of these, the message will be deleted EXCEPT the iPhone. (Of course if delete the message from the iPhone, other will be deleted too) but if from either iPad or Macbook, only message in the iPhone won't be deleted.

iPhone 13 Pro

Posted on Sep 13, 2022 5:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 16, 2022 12:21 PM

I have an iPhone 8 and a MacBook Air - if I delete a message from MacBook it does not delete on iPhone; if I delete a message on iPhone it does delete on MacBook. When I receive a message it appears on both devices. I also now get a message asking if I want to report message as junk when deleting a message from iPhone. So is this a bug or just a "new and improved" (hah) way to do things?

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 16, 2022 12:21 PM in response to Diego7

I have an iPhone 8 and a MacBook Air - if I delete a message from MacBook it does not delete on iPhone; if I delete a message on iPhone it does delete on MacBook. When I receive a message it appears on both devices. I also now get a message asking if I want to report message as junk when deleting a message from iPhone. So is this a bug or just a "new and improved" (hah) way to do things?

Oct 14, 2022 10:05 PM in response to Diego7

Hey everyone. I do have the exact same issue. Deleting an iMessage conversations won't be synced to the iPhone with iOS 16, 16.0.1 and still the same with 16.0.3. I have tried everything (!) one could possible do. All the way to completely went crazy and signed out my Apple ID on all devices, waited half a day, re-signed in on all devices and so forth... network settings reset... you name it. This sucks so badly and I am at least glad I am not the only one.

Looking forward if any one has an idea or tipp towards the solution of this.

(iPad Pro 2018, MacBook Pro M1, iPhone 14 Pro)

Oct 19, 2022 5:38 PM in response to Diego7

I have this exact same issue. Messages deleted from iPhone delete on iPad & Mac, but not the other way. Tried all fixes with no success.

Have spent hours with Tier 2 support answering question and waiting for the "Engineers" to get back to Tier 2 to get in contact with me and NOTHING!!! A very expensive device to not work or be able to get help with. Very frustrating.

Oct 19, 2022 9:18 PM in response to Diego7

Checking in with this same issue as well. Deleting conversations on my phone deletes on all other devices, but deleting on my Mac does not remove the conversation from my iPhone. I do have an iPad Mini signed in with the same iOS account and syncing iMessage with iCloud running iOS 15.7, no upgrade available yet. Someone mentioned this was related, but I cannot confirm. For now I will remove conversations on my iPhone just to avoid them getting out of sync until this issue is fixed.

iOS 16 iMessage bug- not update/sync

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.