Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Studio Display Preference problem when wakes from sleep

I have a MacStudio with two 30 inch monitors connected (Apple Cinema and NEC 301) and when my Mac wakes from sleep weird things happen. 

One of the things mentioned below occurs about 25% of the times when my computer wakes. 

1. The Display preferences of Main Display and Extended Display gets either changed or can get switched around when the computer wakes from sleep.

A. The Desktop will have changed places on the monitors. 

B. The side by side orientation gets switched where the left monitor becomes the right monitor.

2. The Resolution will get changed from default to an extremely lower one on my Apple monitor (it is the Extended Display).

NOTE: Each display is connected to a different Thunderbolt port. On start up while both monitors are on, they work well. Curiously when I have my main display on and start up my computer, I have to turn on my extended monitor to log in. 

Never had these problems with my 2010 Mac Pro that was running Mojave. 

To work with the computer and my two monitors, I have to either restart my computer, I think I can fix it by logging out and then in, or I have to go the Display panel and ratify what strangeness occurred. 

Mac Studio

Posted on Sep 13, 2022 8:30 PM

Similar questions

2 replies

Sep 14, 2022 8:21 AM in response to LynnSD

<< B. The side by side orientation gets switched where the left monitor becomes the right monitor. >>

Start by swapping the two cables at the Mac, so that the one more likely to wake up first gets seen first, and the swapping is reduced.

--------

When a display is Really slow to be recognized, sometimes your Mac declares it "missing". When this happens, all the open windows from the "missing" display are plied on to the adjacent edge of the still-working display, so that they do not become inaccessible and lost.

________

to debug further, please list the method used to connect each display, is detail. Please mention every cable, adapter, and dock.

Sep 14, 2022 3:04 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

I switched the cables and got no change.

My Main Display (NEC 301) is connect from computers Thunderbolt 4 port directly into the Display Port of the monitor.

My Extended Display (Apple 30 inch Cinema Display) is connected to a Club adaptor that was made for this monitor and recommended by Luke Miani will know Mac blogger/tinkerer) then into the Mac Studio and the other end into the monitor. All cables are the highest rated I could fine for Thunderbolt 4. No Dock was used.

Having said all this, there is a similar post in the Monterey Apple Community site with several people having similar problems. That blog seems to now be inactive. Since it seem to go not where, I went to this hardware site to get answers.

Mac Studio Display Preference problem when wakes from sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.