Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Moving icons in dock on MacBook Air (M1, 2020), macOS Monterey 12.6

I went through the entire forum on this topic and found no helpful answers (I don't think I missed the actual solution but if so, I defer to the OP with my sincerest apologies).

The only solution I've found is one I discovered by accident: click and release the Shift key, then QUICKLY click and drag the icon to be moved to the place in the dock where you want it. Emphasis on quickly. Also emphasis on...well...quickly.

When you're dragging the icon, don't be surprised if it drops off and returns to its original location the first time. And second time. Et cetera. But be patient and you'll see that each time, the icon DOES move but drops off quickly. You have to move quickly and place it into the dock where you want it. As you move the icon selected, you'll notice the other dock icons moving to make a space for it.

I did mention moving it quickly, right? ;)

But it does work and after you've done it a couple times you'll get the hang of it.

In sequence:

1. Click and release the Shift key
  2. Quickly click and drag the icon you wish to move (that is to say click the icon and keep pressing the touchpad as you move it) to the spot on the dock you want it
  3. Release the icon and touchpad

MacBook Air Apple Silicon

Posted on Sep 14, 2022 9:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 14, 2022 11:30 AM

AlienMindTrick wrote:

But it does work and after you've done it a couple times you'll get the hang of it.

?

ref:

Add, remove, or rearrange Dock items

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/dock-mh35859/mac

Change Dock & Menu Bar preferences on Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 14, 2022 11:30 AM in response to AlienMindTrick

AlienMindTrick wrote:

?

ref:

Add, remove, or rearrange Dock items

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/dock-mh35859/mac

Change Dock & Menu Bar preferences on Mac - Apple Support

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.