Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

unable to rearrange app icons in dock; Monterrey, new iMac 24" M1

I am asking this question with new specs, most past inqueries are for older operating systems. The icons cannot be rearranged; they don't move, I have pressed and held the track pad, tried option>clicking, rebooted several times, searched multiple ways including Apple forums, Google; nothing works... when I press and hold on particular app icon a message appears in a small box on the screen; "no available windows", other combinations of corneal, option or command click don't work, something is locked and I can't figure out what it is... thanks in advance

iMac 24″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Nov 10, 2021 5:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2021 8:15 AM

Go to preferences - track pad - uncheck force click and haptic feedback

fixed the issue for me

Similar questions

10 replies

Nov 11, 2021 12:28 PM in response to g_lazz

See if the problem still happens in Safe mode (hold the shift key down at startup). It can take much longer to safe boot (10 min) so be patient.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support 

Safe mode forces the OS to clear certain caches and logs and do other miscellaneous housekeeping. It's non-destructive to user data so is safe to do. Very often certain weird software behavior is corrected by simply logging in this way as a troubleshooting method. When you're in safe boot, the machine will not be at its best performance, especially with graphics, but that's expected.

Does the problem persist while in Safe mode?

Exit safe mode by restarting your Mac normally and re-evaluate the issue again.

If the problem is still unresolved, please return here and post a reply and we’ll see what else we can come up with for help.

Mar 13, 2022 3:45 PM in response to g_lazz

Sadly, I think you have to remove the icon from the dock and then move it to where you want it.

Responders: this only applies to the NEW Macbook Pros (2021), where the trackpad has a second-level click. So, no point in telling us that your older machines have no problems; we already know (and we're glad for you, if not a little jealous).

unable to rearrange app icons in dock; Monterrey, new iMac 24" M1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.