Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad doesn't charge unless turned off

I have tried MULTIPLE TIMES everything Apple recommends. The iPad has been in use since it was bought in 2013, and now the charging port just doesn't work. I've cleaned it, I've used original cables, the original stuff did nothing... only the aftermarket stuff charged it. Help. Please. I am NOT buying a new iPad.

iPad Air Wi-Fi, Cellular

Posted on Sep 14, 2022 3:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 16, 2022 8:42 PM

At this point, I have taken it to uBreakiFix to have the charging port fixed. They tried with I think a 60W brick and an official cable and it still wouldn't charge, despite being a 2013 iPad Air that shouldn't need 60W. They tried cleaning the port, using different cables, and different bricks, but nothing worked. All cables and bricks worked as they were testing my other iPad Air without this damage, and they all worked fine. Before I took it in I used my 30W brick as well, and it still didn't charge. When my brother was younger he used to yank the cable out of the port, and he did the same to my iPad Mini 2. though my mini still works perfectly fine, especially after getting past the activation lock from my old email.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 16, 2022 8:42 PM in response to LotusPilot

At this point, I have taken it to uBreakiFix to have the charging port fixed. They tried with I think a 60W brick and an official cable and it still wouldn't charge, despite being a 2013 iPad Air that shouldn't need 60W. They tried cleaning the port, using different cables, and different bricks, but nothing worked. All cables and bricks worked as they were testing my other iPad Air without this damage, and they all worked fine. Before I took it in I used my 30W brick as well, and it still didn't charge. When my brother was younger he used to yank the cable out of the port, and he did the same to my iPad Mini 2. though my mini still works perfectly fine, especially after getting past the activation lock from my old email.

Sep 15, 2022 5:13 AM in response to JamesStrawberry

In case you have missed something, these support pages should help with troubleshooting battery and charging issues:

Charge and monitor the iPad battery - Apple Support

If your iPad won't charge – Apple Support

Troubleshooting generally requires substitution of the Power Adapter and cable for another known-good item. Most models of iPad require a Power Adapter rated at 12W or greater to reliably charge. 5W Power Adapters intended for older models of iPhone are inadequate to charge an iPad; if the iPad charges at all, charging will be very slow.

Be aware that many computer USB ports cannot source sufficient power to charge an iPad. Unless explicitly designed for charging connected devices, computer USB ports are typically limited to 0.5-1A @5V (i.e., 2.5-5.0W).

If you continue to experience difficulties when using an appropriate Power Adapter of 12W or greater, you might be best advised to seek assistance directly from from Apple Support - and request a remote diagnostic test. You can contact the Support Team using the Get Support link at top-right of this page. Alternatively, you can initiate and manage your support cases using the excellent Apple Support App. If not already installed on your iPad, the App can be downloaded from the App Store:

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/apple-support/id1130498044

You might also visit the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) - where the technicians will be able to test and assess your iPad, Power Adapter and cable(s):

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Sep 17, 2022 1:32 AM in response to JamesStrawberry

Given this additional information, it is very likely that the iPad Lightning port has been damaged - and will require repair.

You would be well advised to visit the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) - where the technicians will be able to test and assess your iPad, Power Adapter and cable(s). If repair is required, you’ll be in the best possible place to explore your available options:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Otherwise, consider Apple’s mail-in repair service:

iPad Service & Repair - Apple Support

Sep 14, 2022 9:43 PM in response to Skydiver119

I'm using a replacement 10W. Again, all my other iPads charge from this just fine. The cable is Amazon Basics & the block is a replacement official apple. My iPad 6, other iPad Air, & iPad 7 all charge from this cable perfectly fine, but this iPad Air only charges when it's off. Original cable & charging brick work for other devices but won't charge this one at all.

Sep 17, 2022 3:56 AM in response to LotusPilot

already said I took it to uBreakiFix. Are you a bot? When I called apple support and told them it was an Air 1 they didn't want to repair it and told me to get a new device. So I took it to uBreakiFix got a hundred off a screen repair and the port repair (which totalled $300) and yeah. So $200 for a glass repair, & the port repair, pretty good. Normally it's $250 for a port repair. And plus I read online sometimes Apple doesn't actually send you back your device, just an entire new one.

Sep 17, 2022 4:43 AM in response to JamesStrawberry

No, I’m a living/breathing human being - just like you.

The iPad Air1 is, as you have evidently discovered, no longer supported for hardware repairs by Apple. As such, this avenue for repair is no longer available. Repair by a third-party is a lottery - as at best they will be using non-standard (i.e., not of Apple origin) parts; Apple does not supply parts for iPad outside of its own network of Apple Authorised Service Providers (AASPs).

For eligible models of iPad, Apple will often offer an exchange for a reconditioned iPad of the same model and specification in lieu of repair of your own device. This service is intended to provide a rapid-replacement service.

Sep 17, 2022 7:25 AM in response to LotusPilot

well, uBreakiFix has done great jobs on multiple of my other iPads that Apple refused to repair - an iPad Air & iPad 6. This other iPad Air now needs repairs and again apple refuses so I went to uBreakiFix and they are fixing it at this moment. They do a really great job at fixing stuff, while apple says it's "impossible" to replace a screen on a 2018 iPad 6 they replaced it. My 2019 iPad 7 had a small crack in the glass, they replaced it and Apple denied it. That happened when I got it in 2020 - something went wrong in shipping and it had a crack. They refused even though it was a year old and still was being sold new. They denied fixing my iPhone XS in 2019, they've denied almost every repair I've taken to them and told me to "get a new device". But uBreakiFix? Fixed every single one of them (besides the XS - I just sold it to a family friend and got an iPhone 11)

iPad doesn't charge unless turned off

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.