Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My computer won’t do anything if just shows blinking folder logo

I can’t reinstall macOS on my computer

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Sep 14, 2022 11:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 15, 2022 8:28 AM

If your Mac starts up to a question mark

A folder with a flashing question mark means that your startup disk is no longer available or doesn't contain a working Mac operating system.

If the question mark is persistent, and your Mac does not start up normally:

1. Press and hold the power button on your Mac for up to 10 seconds, until your Mac turns off.
  2. Every Mac has a power button. On notebook computers that have Touch ID, press and hold Touch ID.
  3. Use Disk Utility to repair your startup disk. Follow the steps for a Mac with an Intel processor.
  4. If Disk Utility found no errors or repaired all errors, reinstall macOS.
  5. If you still need help, please contact Apple Support.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 15, 2022 8:28 AM in response to cayden58

If your Mac starts up to a question mark

A folder with a flashing question mark means that your startup disk is no longer available or doesn't contain a working Mac operating system.

If the question mark is persistent, and your Mac does not start up normally:

1. Press and hold the power button on your Mac for up to 10 seconds, until your Mac turns off.
  2. Every Mac has a power button. On notebook computers that have Touch ID, press and hold Touch ID.
  3. Use Disk Utility to repair your startup disk. Follow the steps for a Mac with an Intel processor.
  4. If Disk Utility found no errors or repaired all errors, reinstall macOS.
  5. If you still need help, please contact Apple Support.

My computer won’t do anything if just shows blinking folder logo

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.