Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery problems in iPhone 12 Pro after updating

Hello!

I updated to iOS 16 and the first morning after the update I found my phone turned off, but I didn't turn it off. I turned it on and it was at 80% battery, not full. I leave it to charge overnight wirelessly in a charging base that charges both AppleWatch and iPhone. It's been working fine for years now.

I went to Battery settings and there was an alert inside it: "Charge was paused due to iPhone temperature" (roughly, my system is in a different language).

My battery health is of 84%.

Can it be that the updating process made it warm, and be a one-time issue? Is iOS16 killing my battery? Being a 12 Pro it should be fine, but I'm concerned that it not only paused the charge at 80% but turned off the phone. I need my phone to be on at all times.

iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 16

Posted on Sep 15, 2022 12:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 15, 2022 5:12 AM

Hello,

It may have gotten warm due to extra processing for iOS 16. See this:

"With any new version of iOS there are always maintenance and re-indexing tasks to be performed. It should settle down in a few days."

Stopping at 80% charge could be due to optimized battery charging:

About Optimized Battery Charging on your iPhone

However, battery health of 84% is a little low. They usually recommend a battery replacement when the health falls below 80%.

See this link by Lawrence Finch for some battery charging tips:

When to charge your iPhone or iPad

Good luck.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 15, 2022 5:12 AM in response to Carola Clavo

Hello,

It may have gotten warm due to extra processing for iOS 16. See this:

"With any new version of iOS there are always maintenance and re-indexing tasks to be performed. It should settle down in a few days."

Stopping at 80% charge could be due to optimized battery charging:

About Optimized Battery Charging on your iPhone

However, battery health of 84% is a little low. They usually recommend a battery replacement when the health falls below 80%.

See this link by Lawrence Finch for some battery charging tips:

When to charge your iPhone or iPad

Good luck.

Sep 15, 2022 6:28 AM in response to MrBill3

Thank you for your reply @MrBill3. So there may be two different events happening: one is the charge pausing at 80% and waiting to complete during the night, and the next event is the iPhone turning off, could it be related to the device being too warm? When I see the battery graphic, I don't understand it. It seems that it went to 0% and then nothing is going on (presumably turned off) but suddenly it is 80% when I turn it on, around 7 AM).

I'll check with the store nearby about a battery change but I guess I'll be left without a phone for a few days. But what can you do? 🤷🏻‍♀️ I'll borrow one from a friend.

Battery problems in iPhone 12 Pro after updating

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.