Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I install macOS 10.15 or newer on a 2011 iMac?

How do I install macOS 10.15.0 version or newer on a 2011 iMac that currently has 10.13.6? I recently had a new hard drive installed and lost my Windows applications. I purchased 2021 Windows Home and Student but I can't install it. It says I need a newer version of macOS.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Sep 15, 2022 10:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 15, 2022 2:41 PM

Newer versions of Office will not run on Mojave or earlier. OnlyOffice, Office 365, OpenOffice, LibreOffice, iWork, and Google Docs all offer varying levels of compatibility with stand alone Office saved documents. You can run Windows on Boot Camp on a 2011 Mac, and may want to consider creating a new partition of that on your Mac to run the Windows version of Office and Windows. If you depend on Microsoft Access or Project, transferring documents to Mac OS from these applications can be more tedious than just running Windows on your Mac.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 15, 2022 2:41 PM in response to TJC58

Newer versions of Office will not run on Mojave or earlier. OnlyOffice, Office 365, OpenOffice, LibreOffice, iWork, and Google Docs all offer varying levels of compatibility with stand alone Office saved documents. You can run Windows on Boot Camp on a 2011 Mac, and may want to consider creating a new partition of that on your Mac to run the Windows version of Office and Windows. If you depend on Microsoft Access or Project, transferring documents to Mac OS from these applications can be more tedious than just running Windows on your Mac.

How do I install macOS 10.15 or newer on a 2011 iMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.