Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to email a playlist from my Mac's MUSIC app with the actual tracks (not jus the text info)?

Hi -

I want to email a playlist from my Mac's Music library with the actual sound files available to the recipient, in the order in which the individual tracks appear in my playlist, and available for the recipients to play the whole playlist or just individual tracks. To put it another way: when I access the playlist in question in Music, I can simply hit "Play," and it will play the tracks in order, OR, I can choose specific tracks to play. I want my recipient to be able to do the same thing. How? Grateful for any guidance. (I'm thinking this should be a simple process, but I can't find a way to do it.)

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Sep 15, 2022 10:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 16, 2022 1:04 PM

Leslie,

12.4 MB could probably be sent as an email attachment. (I was afraid you were thinking like 20 tracks @ 10MB each.)

I am not aware of any kind of internal indexes that GB could create and the player could understand.

So two main choices: (1) Create the single continuous track and let them play or skip around, or (2) zip up the individual files into a folder, using the 01, 02, convention on the file names to indicate the order. One advantage of the #2 is that each track will display its own title, but probably either way would work.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 16, 2022 1:04 PM in response to Leslie Bisno

Leslie,

12.4 MB could probably be sent as an email attachment. (I was afraid you were thinking like 20 tracks @ 10MB each.)

I am not aware of any kind of internal indexes that GB could create and the player could understand.

So two main choices: (1) Create the single continuous track and let them play or skip around, or (2) zip up the individual files into a folder, using the 01, 02, convention on the file names to indicate the order. One advantage of the #2 is that each track will display its own title, but probably either way would work.

Sep 16, 2022 7:01 AM in response to Leslie Bisno

LOL, not sure why you think it "should be a simple process." It isn't.

You can email an individual audio file by locating it in Finder or Windows Explorer and sending as an attachment. However, a playlist of such files will likely exceed the attachment limit on either your mailer or theirs.

You can put all the files into a folder, zip it, put it in the cloud, and send them the link. To maintain the order, you can include M3U listing (most people don't like this), or prepend each file name with the number, as 01, 02, etc. When they unzip it they can add the files to their library.

By the way, people hardly ever do this anymore. If the tracks are available on your favorite streaming service, send them the link(s).

Sep 16, 2022 12:19 PM in response to ed2345

Thanks for your reply. These are original music tracks, not available on a streaming service. It's a "demo tape" with about 8 brief cuts, 10 mins long, mp3, 12.4 MB total. I'm a bit wary of M3U (as you imply); I want to make this as seamless and easy for the recipient as possible. But it will showcase best if it's played in a certain order, which the recipients may not adhere to if presented with separate files for each track, even if a recommended order of play is given.

I could create a single track in GarageBand, but I'd like to give them the option of listening to individual cuts. Do you know if it's possible to create a track in GB such that they can jump to the beginning of any cut at will?

How to email a playlist from my Mac's MUSIC app with the actual tracks (not jus the text info)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.