You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

iOS 18 is now available

Customize your iPhone in more ways than ever, stay connected with friends and family, and relive your favorite moments. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Notes

After upgrading my iPhone to iOS 16, I can no longer open the locked notes on my iMac, I get the message "This note uses unsupported features. To view or edit it, upgrade to the latest version of macOS (I'm already running macOS Monterey Ver 12.6)". No problem opening the locked notes on iPhone.

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 12.6

Posted on Sep 16, 2022 3:50 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 20, 2022 7:30 AM

Hey there Von123,

We're only guessing, but this may be unexpected behavior, or something related to one of the new features being used for that specific note within iOS 16 that isn't available in macOS until macOS Ventura is released this October.

One feature we can think of is the new collaboration features available in iOS 16, but not yet available until macOS Ventura releases. The preview website has details about this new Notes feature: macOS Ventura Preview

Does the message indicate which unsupported features it's referring to, or does it only show the message you mentioned, with nothing else?

Cheers!

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 20, 2022 7:30 AM in response to Von123

Hey there Von123,

We're only guessing, but this may be unexpected behavior, or something related to one of the new features being used for that specific note within iOS 16 that isn't available in macOS until macOS Ventura is released this October.

One feature we can think of is the new collaboration features available in iOS 16, but not yet available until macOS Ventura releases. The preview website has details about this new Notes feature: macOS Ventura Preview

Does the message indicate which unsupported features it's referring to, or does it only show the message you mentioned, with nothing else?

Cheers!

Sep 20, 2022 7:50 AM in response to bruno75

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Yes I believe the issue is with iOS 16 and the fact that it most probably needs macOS Ventura to realise some of the features; namely that to use the iPhone password to open locked Notes (instead of a separate password), one needs Ventura. I disabled the new feature and my locked Notes on my iMac were again accessible.

Notes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.