Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 16 breaks photos on OSX 10.11.6

Updated XR to iOS 16 not cannot import any photos into Photos or using Image Capture>

Is this broken or, if not, what settings do I need to change on Mac Pro and/or iPhone.

Import Fails Stating:

"Unreadable Files

The following files could not be imported (they may be an unrecognized file type or the files may not contain valid data).

Reason: com.apple ImageCaptureCore error -9937

Mac Pro, OS X 10.11

Posted on Sep 16, 2022 4:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 18, 2022 12:16 AM

See also:

Since updating my iphone to ios16 I canno… - Apple Community

And many others.

Similar questions

5 replies

Sep 16, 2022 9:34 AM in response to 19067

You are probably using the HEIC, high efficiency photo format introduced in 2017, Your bio says you're running El Capitan, 10.11, and HEIC was introduced after El Capitan. You would need to upgrade your Mac's system to Mojave or newer in order to get be able to process the HEIC format

What you can do is use Image Capture to download all of the photos to a folder on the Desktop and use the free HEIC Converter from the App Store to convert them into JPEGS. Along with that change to format of photos taken on the iPhone to "Most Compatible" in the iPhone's Settings/Camera/Formats preference pane.

Sep 17, 2022 3:57 PM in response to Old Toad

Thanks, but the images on the iPhone are not HEIC. I do not use Live Photos. I also cannot import them to the desktop with image capture. I get the same format is not recognized. I did find that by emailing an image to myself I could put it on the desktop and then import to photos but that's too much work. An Apple tech is working on this but thankfully I can just use the 14" MacBookPro M1Pro and there are no problems with it and Photo.

Sep 18, 2022 8:15 AM in response to 19067

Update: Just got off the phone with higher level Apple tech manager. The problem is endemic, apparently across all iPhones. Thankfully I did not yet get a 14. It will be fixed, not directly, but in a future update after 16.1. If this is that big an issue it should be pushed out much more quickly, I believe.

I suspect that it might be related to Intel chips because, as I said before, photos import perfectly in my new 14" MacBookPro with the M1Pro chip, which is where all my photos will now be imported but they're unworkable in my MacPro with 10.11.6

iOS 16 breaks photos on OSX 10.11.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.