Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple Music today announced the release of its 100 Best Albums of all time, a list crafted by Apple Music’s experts alongside industry professionals. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 16 with iTunes?

I was trying to update and restore iPhone with iTunes 12.8 and it gives error 10 which I found means that my software is incompatible with this iOS. Does that mean there are no new iOS versions and devices for me?

Posted on Sep 16, 2022 9:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2022 6:48 AM

What model of Phone do you have? Have you tried an over the air update, or is the device not functioning correctly at the moment? You might try If your iPhone or iPad won't update - Apple Support.

tt2

8 replies

Sep 16, 2022 10:46 AM in response to Promiceus

As far as I can tell iOS 16 is supposed to be supported on El Capitan upwards. In Finder use the menu item Go > Go to Folder..., copy the following text, paste it into the dialog box and press enter:

/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework/Versions/Current/Resources

Unlock your device and connect it to USB. Double click on MobileDeviceUpdater in the folder that has opened. It should notify you of a software update. Install it and iTunes should hopefully recognize your device.

If these steps haven't worked you can also try reinstalling iTunes12.8.2.3.dmg (El Capitan/Sierra) or iTunes12.8.3.1 (High Sierra) while your device is connected and unlocked.

tt2

Sep 19, 2022 5:25 AM in response to turingtest2

Thank you for reply. It look like this solution isn't working for me. When I double-click on MobileDeviceUpdater nothing visually happens. If it is supposed to happen via iTunes - it might be working as iTunes does give me a message with the choice to restore and update the phone.

To clarify the situation a bit more: iTunes does recognise my device - it fails to re-install iOS on it. iTunes downloads the software, extracts it, then it "verifies the update with Apple", then it begins "waiting for your iPhone" and then it says "The iPhone could not be restored. An unknown error has occurred (10)".

Sep 19, 2022 8:00 AM in response to turingtest2

iPhone X. It was in recovery mode. I've tried all of the above - nothing worked. As soon as I plugged it into a MacBook with Mojave - it worked. So I guess there is some problem between High Sierra/iTunes with iOS 16. Sadly, I won't be able t replicate it or test other ways anymore. I will plug the phone to Hight Sierra again, but since it did prompt me about downloading an update to be able to work with this iPhone - it will work as regular connection and the bug appears when it comes to restoring/resetting iPhone.

Sep 29, 2022 8:37 AM in response to turingtest2

So here's the final update. After I've successfully did "update and restore" on other machine, iTunes on machine in question did ask me about downloading additional software (again), suggested installation and restart (again), after which I was able to sync an iPhone with iOS 16. That leads me to believe that iOS 16 is OK to sync with iTunes 12.8, may be it's OK to install software updates as well, but it definitely hits some sort of a loop if the user is trying to 'restore and update' the iPhone. If you encounter an error like that, you will have to use other machine to first update your device and then it will work. It is possible to do a dummy empty account just for restore and later sync the device with your iTunes (like if you have a backup that you'd like to restore).

iOS 16 with iTunes?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.