Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do i get past HELLO screen when HOME button broken?

OK, I did a silly thing. My “old” iPad had a broken home button, so I had it running with the button on the screen - perfect for my requirements. Intending to use it in my shed as my You Tube go to device, I decided to restore it to factory settings and just put the apps that I need on it😬. No worries so far, now restored to factory settings.

So now I power it on, get the HELLO screen………….and the instructions to Press Home To Open message. I don’t have a HOME button to press🥺. Have I created a paperweight?

Posted on Sep 16, 2022 3:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 16, 2022 4:11 PM

It is a common misconception that an iPad (or iPhone) can remain fully functional with damaged or defective physical buttons. 

Whilst Accessibility features (such as assistive touch) can be used to augment the User Interface, these features cannot be used as a substitute for physical button sequences that must be used to trigger system or recovery actions. Sooner or later, as now, you will encounter a situation from which you cannot recover.

Until repaired, you will not be able to use the device.

iPad Service & Repair - Apple Support

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 16, 2022 4:11 PM in response to GeeBee800

It is a common misconception that an iPad (or iPhone) can remain fully functional with damaged or defective physical buttons. 

Whilst Accessibility features (such as assistive touch) can be used to augment the User Interface, these features cannot be used as a substitute for physical button sequences that must be used to trigger system or recovery actions. Sooner or later, as now, you will encounter a situation from which you cannot recover.

Until repaired, you will not be able to use the device.

iPad Service & Repair - Apple Support

Sep 16, 2022 3:41 PM in response to GeeBee800

Based on your situation, I recommend service.

Service Checklist:

Click ▶︎ Start a Service Request. ⚛️

Need more help?

Click ▶︎ Check Repair Status. 🔧

How do i get past HELLO screen when HOME button broken?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.