Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macbook pro 2021 black screen but can see "shadows" of the background

Hello, Today my 2021 Macbook pro screen went black. I have been reading the other forms and it doesn't seem like I am having the same problem as everyone else. Basically, the screen is black when on, but when I up the brightness, I can see "shadows" of the background and even faintly make out the apple logo when I restart it. Unfortunately its not enough to see anything to be able to adjust. I have plugged this into my TV was able to use that as a monitor for now, but any ideas on the problem of the fix?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Sep 16, 2022 4:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 17, 2022 7:42 AM

Shine a very bright light at the screen and see if the information is there and reasonable, but the backlight (only) has failed.

If the picture is OK, but no backlight, you still need service, but only for a display, not for a mainboard as well.

As a temporary work-around, you could connect an external display or TV set and MAKE A BACKUP If yours are not up to date.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 17, 2022 7:42 AM in response to jawonderlic

Shine a very bright light at the screen and see if the information is there and reasonable, but the backlight (only) has failed.

If the picture is OK, but no backlight, you still need service, but only for a display, not for a mainboard as well.

As a temporary work-around, you could connect an external display or TV set and MAKE A BACKUP If yours are not up to date.

Sep 17, 2022 6:55 AM in response to jawonderlic

jawonderlic wrote:

Hello, Today my 2021 Macbook pro screen went black. I have been reading the other forms and it doesn't seem like I am having the same problem as everyone else. Basically, the screen is black when on, but when I up the brightness, I can see "shadows" of the background and even faintly make out the apple logo when I restart it. Unfortunately its not enough to see anything to be able to adjust. I have plugged this into my TV was able to use that as a monitor for now, but any ideas on the problem of the fix?

M1/M2 Apple Silicon Mac —you can try SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support to sort anomalies.

In or out of warranty you can get a free over the counter 'Apple Service Diagnostics' test /assessment

Make an appointment for a "hardware issue"

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Outside the USA

Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support

Check your coverage

My Support - Official Apple Support

Sep 17, 2022 8:44 AM in response to jawonderlic

Bad news.

If they decide to send it out, despite them telling you as little as five days duration, by the time shipping and holding time is added, my experience has been that elapsed time is closer to 10 days.

You may be want to wait for the repair until after you arrive in your new location.

Whether you get it diagnosed now or not is up to you, but Apple generally does not have a simple drop off for repairs -- they always seem to require Genius Bar visit (and re-inspection) to initiate a repair.

macbook pro 2021 black screen but can see "shadows" of the background

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.