Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 4k - Volume Control does not list my CEC soundbar, but I can control volume via "Audio Output" screen

Preface: I've got my Apple TV connected to an HDMI hub/switch that supports 4k60fps and ARC. From this hub I can have my soundbar, TV, and Apple TV interconnected and they work perfectly in-sync with CEC enabled. Well, almost perfectly. The reason I'm using this hub is because my TV REFUSES to recognize my soundbar at all. But with the hub I can connect my Apple TV as the input source, use my TV as the "monitor output", and send the audio to my soundbar using the ARC port. No video quality degradation, soundbar booms.

Everything works fine except for one small annoyance. The Volume Controls don't work for the soundbar if I use the Apple TV remote. I've gone in to the settings and under Remotes and Devices I've tried to change the selected "Volume Control" device as my soundbar, but there's only the options of "Auto", "TV via IR", "Off" and "Learn New Device"

The annoying part is that when I go to "Video and Output" settings and choose "Audio Output", the soundbar is listed as a temporary audio device and I CAN control it's volume level from here! So I can see it's possible, but just not outside this one screen.

Sounds like a bug to me, but I'll leave it to the folks on here to confirm.

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 15

Posted on Sep 16, 2022 5:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 17, 2022 12:27 AM

Yes tvOS 16 is installed.

After some more fiddling I was able to get the Volume Control working for the soundbar. Turns out you can have multiple devices as your Temporary audio device, and they can be active all at once. Pretty neat if I’m being honest! But the problem for me was that Volume Control was defaulting to the wrong device. Once I unselected it and only had my soundbar chosen, everything worked.

Thank you Snoop D O double G

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 17, 2022 12:27 AM in response to Snoop Dogg

Yes tvOS 16 is installed.

After some more fiddling I was able to get the Volume Control working for the soundbar. Turns out you can have multiple devices as your Temporary audio device, and they can be active all at once. Pretty neat if I’m being honest! But the problem for me was that Volume Control was defaulting to the wrong device. Once I unselected it and only had my soundbar chosen, everything worked.

Thank you Snoop D O double G

Apple TV 4k - Volume Control does not list my CEC soundbar, but I can control volume via "Audio Output" screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.