Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is iCloud forcing me to change my password?

I’m trying to log into iCloud.com, but every time I log in it shows the “choose a stronger password” screen. There’s no apparent reason, and my current password fits all the criteria

if I try to put in my normal password, it says “choose a password you have not used in the past year”

the screen shows up after entering the verification code

this is a personal iCloud account that nobody else has access to

it has never done this before

Posted on Sep 16, 2022 10:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 17, 2022 12:33 AM

The 2FA account is created primarily from Mac and additional device iPhone is verified in the account , when weak passwords were created on iPhone ( say Apple ID created was example1@gmail.com ) and that is third party mail services yet an Apple ID and you sign in from www.icloud.com using a web browser it has to updated Change weak or compromised passwords on iPhone - Apple Support

It has to be updated on Mac Use iCloud Keychain to keep information secure on Mac - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 17, 2022 12:33 AM in response to Downhill2k01

The 2FA account is created primarily from Mac and additional device iPhone is verified in the account , when weak passwords were created on iPhone ( say Apple ID created was example1@gmail.com ) and that is third party mail services yet an Apple ID and you sign in from www.icloud.com using a web browser it has to updated Change weak or compromised passwords on iPhone - Apple Support

It has to be updated on Mac Use iCloud Keychain to keep information secure on Mac - Apple Support

Sep 16, 2022 10:27 PM in response to Downhill2k01

Downhill2k01 Said:

"Why is iCloud forcing me to change my password?: I’m trying to log into iCloud.com, but every time I log in it shows the “choose a stronger password” screen. There’s no apparent reason, and my current password fits all the criteria"

-------

Reset the SMC and your NVRAM:

(Applies to macOS-Installed Macs only). Sometimes when changes are made to the system(i.e. updates), system configurations (i.e. for keyboard) become manipulated, technically. So, reset the SMC and NVRAM. Characters many not be entered correctly.

Why is iCloud forcing me to change my password?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.