Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using old external drive

I have two pro-2019 ext drives I want to Erase before discarding. Since they are powered, I want to be sure I can do this on my Mac without damage.

'An ounce of prevention is worth a ton of regrets!'

Thanks

iMac 21.5″ 4K, macOS 12.4

Posted on Sep 17, 2022 8:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 17, 2022 9:23 AM

Should be no problem. 2019 is not that old. I have a 2013 MacBook Air and 2015 iMac, both of which work great. I have external drives older than 10 years that still work fine.

If the drives draw power from the Mac and demand an excessive amount of power, the Mac will simply refuse to power them. Then you might try connecting them through a powered hub. If they have their own power supplies, there should be no problems.

Connect the drives to the Mac, open Disk Utility, and erase/reformat them before discarding.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 17, 2022 9:23 AM in response to PaulD_

Should be no problem. 2019 is not that old. I have a 2013 MacBook Air and 2015 iMac, both of which work great. I have external drives older than 10 years that still work fine.

If the drives draw power from the Mac and demand an excessive amount of power, the Mac will simply refuse to power them. Then you might try connecting them through a powered hub. If they have their own power supplies, there should be no problems.

Connect the drives to the Mac, open Disk Utility, and erase/reformat them before discarding.

Using old external drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.