Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Compatibility of Macbook pro hard drive formatted APFS with Mac OS Extended (Journaled) hard drives

I just got my new 2021 Macbook Pro (Mac OS 12.6). Its hard drive came formatted APFS. I wanted to transfer data from one External HDD to another, both of which are formatted to Mac OS Extended (Journaled), but, when I tried to do this, I got an error labeled "-50".

To complete the data transfer I am now using a 2015 MacBook Pro in combination with the two HDD drives. It is a very slow process but seems to be working.

However, I would like to use my new computer with my old drives. Do I have to reformat my computer hard drive to Mac OS Extended or, alternatively, reformat my old drives to APFS?

Which of these two options would you recommend?

Many thanks for your consideration.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Sep 17, 2022 9:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 17, 2022 11:21 AM

macerror -50

Mac OS error -50 (paramErr): error in user parameter list

That does not suggest in any way that there is any incompatibility for MacOS Extended drives on a system with an APFS boot drive.

You may have created a copy request that was too complicated. Try moving files in smaller groups.

Similar questions

2 replies

Compatibility of Macbook pro hard drive formatted APFS with Mac OS Extended (Journaled) hard drives

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.