Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine set up changing drive from Mac OS Extended (Journaled) to APFS, Ventura

I have tried several times to start Time Machine on a new Mac OS Extended 5TB Seagate drive. The problem is that Time Machine automatically changes the format to APFS and, although the backup will work, I cannot copy new files or even create a new folder. ...Therefore the drive would be useless except to use solely for TM backups. I am on a brand new iMac running Ventura 13.0 with a brand new Seagate One Touch 5TB drive.

iMac 24″, macOS 13.0

Posted on Jan 3, 2023 6:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 3, 2023 6:34 PM

Time Machine formats its drive APFS Case-sensitive. That doesn't cause the read-only problem.

If you create another volume on the drive, it won't be read-only. There is a note in the middle of the following guide with a link on how to create another Volume.

Types of disks you can use with Time Machine on Mac - Apple Support

You can also partition the drive such that the Time Machine container has a fixed size. You can also format the other container however you'd like.

Partition a physical disk in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 3, 2023 6:34 PM in response to LaneyHess

Time Machine formats its drive APFS Case-sensitive. That doesn't cause the read-only problem.

If you create another volume on the drive, it won't be read-only. There is a note in the middle of the following guide with a link on how to create another Volume.

Types of disks you can use with Time Machine on Mac - Apple Support

You can also partition the drive such that the Time Machine container has a fixed size. You can also format the other container however you'd like.

Partition a physical disk in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

Jan 3, 2023 6:19 PM in response to Barney-15E

Thank you for your prompt reply. Is the APFS formatting not what is casing the problem? In other words, if I were to create a volume on the APFS formatted drive, wouldn't I still have the same problem where I cannot copy new files? If not, how do I go about creating a TM volume? ...there is no option for that in Time Machine.

Or, if I go about the first solution you suggested, how would I go about partitioning the drive?

Jan 4, 2023 5:38 AM in response to LaneyHess

LaneyHess wrote:

That's good to know—however I'm curious what problems it could cause. I have been using an external HD to backup my Mac as well as a holding place for other random files for decades and have not been aware of these problems...

Then you were probably using a large-enough hard drive for Time Machine. If you add too many non-Time Machine files, it can get confused when it is doing its calculations and delete too many old backups or simply refuse to make any new backups. When Time Machine does eventually flake out, it's very easy to reset. Just erase the hard drive and you're good to go in minutes. But if you have stored a lot of additional files on the drive, then you have to move those files first. And since you were probably doing this to avoid buying an archive drive, you probably don't have any place to put the files. So now you don't have a backup.

But I'm pretty sure this has all been solved with modern Time Machine.

Anyway, you don't want to partition the Time Machine drive. Just buy a new drive for archives. They're cheap. When you have multiple drives for archives and backups, your data is more secure because there is much less risk of multiple failures. But when you have everything on one drive, that's a single point of failure. If it dies, it takes everything. Did I mention you can also have multiple Time Machine backup drives?

Time Machine set up changing drive from Mac OS Extended (Journaled) to APFS, Ventura

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.