Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

software update not working

I saw that there is an update for macOS Big Sur to v.11.7 but when I open Software Update, all that happens is that I see the loading animation and it never stops - no update is ever displayed. I am currently on macOS 11.6.8.

Is there any other way to download this macOS update other than using the Software Update app?

Thanks!

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 11.6

Posted on Sep 17, 2022 6:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 18, 2022 2:11 PM

Thanks for your reply and the suggestions. Turns out, I didn't need to use any of them - today, for the first time in weeks, when I started my iMac, I got a notification that updates were available for download (I didn't have to us the Software Update in the System Preferences folder for this) and, when I clicked on the download link - the updates (to macOS and Safari) actually showed up and downloaded! WEIRD!

Thanks, again! I hope that whatever was causing this issue in the first place has been corrected so that I won't need to use your suggestions in the future.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 18, 2022 2:11 PM in response to John Galt

Thanks for your reply and the suggestions. Turns out, I didn't need to use any of them - today, for the first time in weeks, when I started my iMac, I got a notification that updates were available for download (I didn't have to us the Software Update in the System Preferences folder for this) and, when I clicked on the download link - the updates (to macOS and Safari) actually showed up and downloaded! WEIRD!

Thanks, again! I hope that whatever was causing this issue in the first place has been corrected so that I won't need to use your suggestions in the future.

Sep 17, 2022 6:13 PM in response to E. Kennedy

I understand Software Update is stuck at "Checking for update" with no end in sight.

Several workarounds have been proposed, such as restarting your Mac in "Safe Mode" and checking for updates while in that mode, and / or resetting NVRAM.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

Related: Software Update stuck at "Checking for updates"… - Apple Community

Is there any other way to download this macOS update other than using the Software Update app?

Yes, the command line interface in Terminal but it doesn't do anything different.

software update not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.