Related Article: Apple security releases

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My phone says error when I try to update the software

Apple Watch Series 8

Posted on Sep 17, 2022 9:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 17, 2022 9:52 PM

Let it charge more than 50%. More information below:

Make sure that your iPhone is setup to meet the following requirements before you attempt to update the iOS version over a Wi-Fi Network. Open Settings ➡️ General ➡️ Software UpdateIf there is an update available for your iPhone then it will be listed here. Follow the on-screen instructions to download and update your iPhone. 

• Your iPhone must have a fast Wi-Fi connection; you cannot update over cellular data or a cellular hotspot
  • The iPhone can not be in Low Power mode
  • The battery state of charge must be above 50%
  • Your iPhone must have at least 6GB or more free storage space
  • Your iPhone cannot be connected through VPN
  • You should leave the phone plugged in until it finishes updating, both to assure that it remains above 50% and to keep Wi-Fi enabled (Wi-Fi turns off when the phone sleeps if not connected to power).

Axel F.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 17, 2022 9:52 PM in response to nohenys

Let it charge more than 50%. More information below:

Make sure that your iPhone is setup to meet the following requirements before you attempt to update the iOS version over a Wi-Fi Network. Open Settings ➡️ General ➡️ Software UpdateIf there is an update available for your iPhone then it will be listed here. Follow the on-screen instructions to download and update your iPhone. 

• Your iPhone must have a fast Wi-Fi connection; you cannot update over cellular data or a cellular hotspot
  • The iPhone can not be in Low Power mode
  • The battery state of charge must be above 50%
  • Your iPhone must have at least 6GB or more free storage space
  • Your iPhone cannot be connected through VPN
  • You should leave the phone plugged in until it finishes updating, both to assure that it remains above 50% and to keep Wi-Fi enabled (Wi-Fi turns off when the phone sleeps if not connected to power).

Axel F.

Sep 17, 2022 10:06 PM in response to nohenys

nohenys Said:

"My phone says error when I try to update the software"

-------

Thank you for the screenshot.

Troubleshooting iPhone Updates:

You may Need to Clear Space:

SEE MY Two User Tips:

Update Using a Computer:

1. Back Up First: IMPORTANT: If you have an option to update, however, then be certain you backup your iPhone first. That way, you will have something to restore your iPhone from should anything go wrong with the update

then...

2. Proceed with the Update:

Go Here:  Update your iPhone Using a Computer - User Tip

My phone says error when I try to update the software

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.