Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Duplicate photos not showing in iPhone Utilities

duplicate photo section is not showing in utilities after iOS16 update.

model: iPhone11

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 11, iOS 16

Posted on Sep 18, 2022 3:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 13, 2022 10:43 AM

I've been working with Apple Support, which has been very helpful. My pictures were being optimized, which means they were stored in iCloud and not on my phone. The Duplicates feature only works if your pictures are stored directly on your phone. The Support rep told me to choose Download and Keep Originals under Settings rather than Optimize iPhone Storage. Also, be sure you have some duplicate photos so the Duplicates feature will find them.

After doing that, I charged my phone for a few hours for a couple of days and nights while it was locked and without turning on the battery saver. I was beginning to get discouraged, but the Duplicates finally did show up. I took a couple more duplicate photos, and they showed up in Duplicates in about a day. Apple Support told me that if you use your phone while it's charging, you have to start over with charging to get Duplicates to show up. He also said that it takes longer the first time to complete the indexing.

I told the Apple Support rep that it would be helpful if Duplicates would show up under Utilities in the Photos app but grayed out with an explanation that the phone needed to be locked and charging in order for the system to index your photos and find duplicates. The rep told me that you can make a feature request to Apple as they are very responsive to customer suggestions. That can be found at Apple.com/Feedback/Photos/Feature Request.

Hope this works for you!

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 13, 2022 10:43 AM in response to ameeta144

I've been working with Apple Support, which has been very helpful. My pictures were being optimized, which means they were stored in iCloud and not on my phone. The Duplicates feature only works if your pictures are stored directly on your phone. The Support rep told me to choose Download and Keep Originals under Settings rather than Optimize iPhone Storage. Also, be sure you have some duplicate photos so the Duplicates feature will find them.

After doing that, I charged my phone for a few hours for a couple of days and nights while it was locked and without turning on the battery saver. I was beginning to get discouraged, but the Duplicates finally did show up. I took a couple more duplicate photos, and they showed up in Duplicates in about a day. Apple Support told me that if you use your phone while it's charging, you have to start over with charging to get Duplicates to show up. He also said that it takes longer the first time to complete the indexing.

I told the Apple Support rep that it would be helpful if Duplicates would show up under Utilities in the Photos app but grayed out with an explanation that the phone needed to be locked and charging in order for the system to index your photos and find duplicates. The rep told me that you can make a feature request to Apple as they are very responsive to customer suggestions. That can be found at Apple.com/Feedback/Photos/Feature Request.

Hope this works for you!

Sep 30, 2022 10:43 AM in response to SravanKrA

I do have duplicates. I connected my phone to the charger with the screen locked, but Duplicates STILL doesn't show up under Utilities . . . or anywhere. I don't have a lot of pictures on my phone (under 300), so the Duplicates should be visible as well as the duplicate photos. I'll try leaving the phone charging overnight as suggested by Hamed1355 below and see if that works. It shouldn't be this difficult!

Duplicate photos not showing in iPhone Utilities

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.