Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 16 Broke CarPlay for me - Anyone else?

CarPlay on iOS15 worked fine with my Porsche 911 (992). With iOS16 it's broken. I've tried everything on the car side and the iOs one too. Deleted profiles, re-paired, renamed, rebooted, reset network settings - Hours of experimenting and still nothing. Works fine with my BMW X5 though. The Porsche PCM has not had any updated recently - The only thing that has changed is the version of iOS.

The phone is visible and works fine with the Porsche PCM's built in Bluetooth playback, but if you hit the CarPlay link button on the device screen to connect CarPlay it goes green (on) for about 20 seconds then goes white (off) again. Pressing and holding the voice button on the steering wheel which usually kicks in CarPlay set up now just launches Siri.

This is super frustrating - Now I''ve got no Waze, no maps, none of the useful stuff that I need in the car. I can't see how it's the Porsche PCM that is' the issue since that hasn't been updated or changed so it must be iOS16 - Apple, please fix this and make a bit more of an effort when beta testing this stuff.

iPhone 11 Pro Max

Posted on Sep 18, 2022 3:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2022 4:53 AM

I have exactly the same issue (2022 992). CarPlay was always a bit flaky with PCM 6.0, i.e. wireless it never reliably worked for me, but now with iOS 16.0 it completely broke. It will go through the pairing process but ACP will never start regardless what I do.

Very frustrating!

Let me know, if you get it to work. Porsche will be of no help here.

Similar questions

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 21, 2022 4:53 AM in response to Recto Bold

I have exactly the same issue (2022 992). CarPlay was always a bit flaky with PCM 6.0, i.e. wireless it never reliably worked for me, but now with iOS 16.0 it completely broke. It will go through the pairing process but ACP will never start regardless what I do.

Very frustrating!

Let me know, if you get it to work. Porsche will be of no help here.

Sep 21, 2022 5:10 AM in response to georg2011

Absolutely - Porsche will be zero help. CP has always worked pretty well for me with my PCM, except for the odd drop out.

Mine sees the phone via BT and the PCM Media player works fine, but it just can't engage CP for some reason. Something to do with streaming is broken in the iOS 16 release anyway - My Sonos app can't see the speakers any more and the phone constantly says that it's streaming to my Powerbeats Pros, despite them being not even in the house. If I plug it into the USB socket it can't even see the phone. I deleted all wireless networks and the Porsche BT entry, reset network prefs etc. and no joy.

Apple have made a right dog's dinner of this one - Clearly not enough attention paid to the release testing, given that you can find comments about similar issues from beta testers a while back. With the resources they have there's simply no excuse.

Hoping they fix it soon as not having Waze in the car and having to use the built-in mapping is a real pain.

They're talking about having CP control ALL the displays in the dash and yet can't even get music to stream. Last thing I want is iOS having anything to do with my instrument binnacle - Imagine an iOS update hosing your Rev counter and Speedo...

Sep 21, 2022 4:42 PM in response to Recto Bold

I'm experiencing this same issue and none of the recommended steps to try and fix it are working for me. I use an Android device as a work phone and have just been using Android Auto in my car until Apple releases an update to fix whatever they clearly broke with the new release. I've had no problems with Android Auto, so I doubt that the issue is my car. Carplay also worked fine the day before I did this upgrade to iOS 16.

I'm hoping that this gets resolved for everyone soon. It's a very frustrating problem.

Sep 21, 2022 5:51 PM in response to georg2011

I ultimately got this working by factory resetting my car’s entertainment system. Of course the steps on how to do that varies by car, but I had to go through my car’s settings to find the button to wipe it all. Once I did that, CarPlay wanted to pair as soon as I plugged my phone back in.

I factory reset my phone as well, but I’m not sure if that was necessary here.

Good luck! Definitely no fun to have to do this to get CarPlay to work. Apple definitely messed something up here.

iOS 16 Broke CarPlay for me - Anyone else?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.