Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Siri within CarPlay is not working

I am using an iPhone SE (2020; iOS 16.0) with my 2021 Honda Accord Hybrid (using its stock infotainment unit). Up until just a couple days ago, Siri and CarPlay seemed to work just fine. Then, when I asked Siri a question mid-drive, it seemed to freeze up the entire CarPlay module... although the touchscreen UI still worked, no audio would play...no music, no podcasts. Finally, when I found a place to stop, I restarted my car, and everything seemed okay, i.e., I was able to resume listening to my music and podcasts, except it seemed that Siri has stopped working.

Siri will no longer read my text messages. It looks like it goes through the motions, i.e., when I click on the Messages app, the screen looks like it usually does when reading messages (including the countdown timer), but I hear nothing. If I press the button on my steering wheel to call up Siri, the screen changes to show the glowing circle at the bottom, but I get no audio response to ensure that my voice command went through. I've double-checked, and my volume is at its max for the Siri component, but I still hear no response.

As far as I can tell, the microphone still works. From within Google Maps, I can still call up my microphone so that I can tell it a location that I want to go to. Also, if I try to dictate a text message, it will take the dictation, and I can follow up my text message with "Send it" and the text message gets sent, BUT I typically have Siri read my message back to me just to ensure that it interpreted my message correctly, and now Siri no longer reads me my messages.

I don't think it was necessarily the iOS 16 update that created this bug, as I was driving around with iOS 16 for a good few days without any major problems. It all just started happening just a couple days ago.

I've tried the following:

• Restarting my iPhone
  • Restarting my Car
  • Having my iPhone "forget" my car and building a new connection (both via USB and Bluetooth connections)
  • Double-checking my Siri settings to ensure that Siri and CarPlay are enabled. Incidentally, Siri will still speak to me when my phone is NOT connected to my car.

Can anyone help me with this?

iPhone SE

Posted on Sep 22, 2022 12:22 PM

Similar questions

7 replies

Sep 25, 2022 2:47 PM in response to mr_coldcutts

Check to see if your car head unit has any available updates. May or may not help but it’s always a good idea to check for an update at or around the time of new major iOS releases. Also check any user forums for your vehicle and see if any other iPhone users are having the same issue and if anyone has any tips. Not sure if CarPlay issues are truly widespread (I haven’t had any issues with any of the devices in my home or any our cars so it seems safe to assume it’s not a universal problem but seems to be causing a lot of posts on here) or if it’s something some manufacturers of some head units need to release an update to their firmware but it helps if all possibilities are explored

Sep 25, 2022 2:34 PM in response to mr_coldcutts

Hello mr_coldcutts,

Let's start by using the steps below to update to the latest iOS 16.0.2, which was just released a couple of days ago:

1. Back up your device using iCloud or your computer.
2. Plug your device into power and connect to the internet with Wi-Fi.
3. Go to Settings > General, then tap Software Update.
4. Choose the software update that you want to install. You can choose to stay on iOS or iPadOS 15 and still get important security updates. Or you can choose the option to upgrade to iOS or iPadOS 16.
The Settings app on iPhone showing options to update to iOS 15.7 or iOS 16.

5. Tap Install Now. If you see Download and Install instead, tap it to download the update, enter your passcode, then tap Install Now. If you don't know your passcode, learn what to do.

You can also find those steps in this resource: Update your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support Updating can sometimes help address odd behaviors.

Should that still persist, have you had the opportunity to test your iPhone with another CarPlay compatible vehicle, or test your vehicle with another iPhone?

Let us know, and we'll keep moving forward from there.

Sep 25, 2022 10:04 PM in response to KaeBFly

Thanks for the suggestions. I did check for a firmware update, but none has been issued. I also checked Honda Accord forums, and I did see that someone did have a similar issue as far back as 3 years ago (with Android Auto) and as recently as about 6 months ago (with an iPhone 13 and Apple CarPlay), but with no solution posted. I did revive the thread hoping that someone might be able to reply with a solution.

Sep 25, 2022 10:23 PM in response to mr_coldcutts

Just in case it is an issue with your head unit I would report the problem to the manufacturer as well as Apple. Even though an update for the radio hasn’t been released yet it may be something they need to do. Just like if Apple gets enough reports of the issue it may be something they realize they need to address in a new update. Hopefully if anyone has additional suggestions they will chime in.

Siri within CarPlay is not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.