Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't get Siri on - can't use carplay

Well, the situation is as follows:

I have never been using Siri - but now I have a car with CarPlay and I want to have it working.

iOS 13.3, iphoneX.

I connect the phone to the car (multiple cables, several times turing on and off both phone and car).

Car recognizes phone.

I understand that in order to have CarPlay playing, I need to have Siri ON.

Status on the phone: When I press the side button, siri says "talk, I am listening". When I go to settings-->Siri&Search, both "listen for hey siri" and "Press side button for Siri" are disabled (!?). When I go to Settings-->General, I don't see CarPlay.

So I go back to settings-->Siri&Search and try to enable "listen for hey siri". Pup up asks "Enable Siri" or "Cancel". I choose "enable siri" and nothing happens, keeps popping up the same message. Then i try to enable "press side button for siri". Pup up asks "Enable Siri" or "Cancel" (again). This time "Enable Siri" works and I have now additional options in the screen (Language, Siri Voice, Voide feedback etc.). If I go back to settings and then again in "siri&search", "press side button for siri" is disabled again!

So I do the same (enable it) and then try also to enable "listen for hey siri". It is not enabled but somehow magically now the siri & Search remains enabled.

I now go to settings--> General I see CarPlay - great. I also see my car. Trying to connect. The car says that it cannot connect because Siri is disabled! And indeed - magically, again, and while I am in the CarPlay menu in my phone, I tap the side button and I get a message to turn on Siri! And if I do it again from there, the car says it lost connection.

What's the deal here?

G

iPhone X, iOS 12

Posted on Dec 31, 2019 2:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 31, 2019 2:55 AM

If you already followed ALL the steps provided in this support guide:--> How to use CarPlay with your iPhone - Apple Support

to no avail, contact Apple Support as suggested at the bottom af the above guide.

Regards

Giulio

Similar questions

2 replies

Jan 1, 2020 1:28 PM in response to ProustGiulio

Dear Giulio,

yes I did follow ALL steps provided in the support guide and I also contacted Apple Support that could not help.

After several hours of trying different things I finally got the answer which I actually shared also with apple support (they did ask me to send them if I found it):

In Greece SIRI is not supported; nevertheless, the phone is by default set to provide Siri in Greek (?!), meaning that if you press the side button, it asks from you (in Greek) to say something, without providing any information whatsoever that (a) the language is not supported and (b) Siri is not actually enabled, exactly because of that. Thus you cannot enable 'hey Siri', and the overall 'enabling' of Siri is problematic, exactly because of that. So what you need to do is:

1) Enable "press side button for siri" in order to see additional options in the screen (Language, Siri Voice, Voide feedback etc.).

2) Go to Language options and choose one of the supported languages (e.g. English).

3) Set up Siri in the chosen language (the wizzards guides you).

Doing that, Siri and Carplay works just fine.

I guess the same problem will apply in any country with a language currently not supported by Siri.

G

Can't get Siri on - can't use carplay

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.