Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Carplay - Siri not taking dication in Messenger

In a Mazda, using Carplay, the messages are read just fine. Siri asks if you would like to reply. Answer Yes, but the dictation fails. It might catch the last word of the sentence. It might just say "I can't help you". Or it might just whirl for a while and then return you to your home screen. This has been going on for a few days. Up to then being able to dictate a message to send or reply to a message was a huge bonus.

Any ideas as to why this might be?

I can dictate directly to the phone in Messenger.

It is connected to the car via the same USB cord and correct USB outlet as from the start.

I have turned the phone off and on.

I have cleared the microphone on the phone.

Is there a microphone in the car that is being used?

Posted on May 6, 2022 5:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 6, 2022 5:56 PM

What troubleshooting have you tried? If you need help with CarPlay - Apple Support

I would also try restarting the iPhone and then connecting again to CarPlay. Are you connected with a wired connection or wireless?

Similar questions

9 replies

May 6, 2022 6:06 PM in response to kbcube

My vehicle is not equipped with CarPlay, however my wife's is. So, I do not get to use it very often. However I have used it with my iPhone 13 Pro since the last update of iOS 15.4.1, and it was working fine. About the only thing I've ever used it for is maps and Messages, since I use the vehicle's radio to play SiriusXM. Good luck with troubleshooting. Come back if you have any additional questions, and someone should be able to help.

May 13, 2022 7:59 AM in response to kbcube

I am having the same issue in my 2020 Jetta, everything was working fine until a few weeks ago. I am also having an issue with phone calls. I can hear the person calling but they cannot hear me. I have tried the same things including deleting and reconnecting my phone. Someone suggested making sure the firmware in my car is up to date but I am unsure how to do this. I may contact the dealer to see if they can help me.

May 13, 2022 11:40 AM in response to LynnD1220

I unpaired/repaired the phone. Looked up where my car microphone was and thought some how that might be the problem. Then noticed that when I said "send a message to" the Siri swirlie was taking taking its sweet time to expand.

Once that happened I was able to dictate the message, revise and send it off. It's the dang lag with Siri getting ready to listen that seems to be one of the problems. It didn't lag before and was almost at natural conversation level.

So, now it sort of works but not as smoothly as before. Dang, because that was a big perk of Apple Carplay

Carplay - Siri not taking dication in Messenger

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.