Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 14 external monitors keep switching positions

I have two external monitors hooked up via thunderbolt 4, and I plug the same monitors into the exact same ports each an every time. However, the 'remembered' positions on the monitors keep switching positions (left & right)

Then I go into Preferences => Display and move them back, only to have them switch positions again in a future session.

I've tried rebooting, avoiding turning off the laptop, and everything. Nothing works and the monitors keep switching positions. This is most annoying when I leave the computer and come back after a while to start working on something new.

At work we have DisplayLink docks and this never happens... it only happens when I am plugging the monitors into the TB4 ports!

I saw a prior post MacBook Pro external monitors keep swappi… - Apple Community but didn't know if there is a way to solve this. The monitors I have are ASUS PA248QV 24" monitors (both the same). I've tried connecting via HDMI and/or DisplayPort and every combination in between and can't figure this out!!d

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Sep 18, 2022 8:18 AM

Similar questions

6 replies

Sep 21, 2022 11:42 AM in response to trooters

Hello, trooters.

To start off with, this article gives great information and tips on using multiple external monitors: Use one or more external displays with your Mac - Apple Support.

Beyond what you have already done to troubleshoot this, we advise that you continue by testing to see when this behavior occurs. First, put your Mac into safe mode and test. Booting into safe mode will disable any startup and login items from automatically opening, which can help us to isolate the source of the issue further. When you do this, you’ll see some unusual behavior from the display; this is to be expected. Please follow the steps in this article: How to use safe mode on your Mac. 

Next, let's see if this behavior persists in a second user account on your Mac. Please follow these steps to make a test account that can be deleted later: Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac.

Let us know how this goes, please. Thanks and have a fabulous day!

Sep 25, 2022 7:43 PM in response to Gena_D

Hi Gena, Thank you for the response and suggestions.

I've booted using safe boot and been using the laptop for the past couple days in that mode. In both the user account and the new user profile, I still experience the issue. This issue reproduces most often when the MacBook Pro 14 goes to sleep after some usage, and I come back and wake it up to do more work (usb-c to DisplayPort cables stay connected to the MacBook Pro 14). Are there other things to try?

Sep 26, 2022 10:52 AM in response to trooters

To determine display names and capabilities, you Mac uses something resembling "plug-and-play". it sends a query to the display, and the display responds with its name, its capabilities, including default and preferred resolutions, and its SERIAL NUMBER. The serial number is how the Mac uniquely tells TWIN displays apart.

<< The monitors I have are ASUS PA248QV 24" monitors (both the same). >>

What we have seen here with TWIN displays, sometimes the manufacturers have been sloppy about what field contains the serial number. The Mac uses VESA standard, and if the display-maker does not supply the serial number in the expected field, the Mac can not tell the TWIN displays apart, and they 'swap around'.

Your displays have a design defect. only the display maker can fix this defect, and would have to issue a display firmware update to fix it. you should attempt to pressure them to fix the defect.

as a work around, two different model or different makers will not exhibit this symptom.

additional background information:

the details can be seen using a Utility like SwichResX, which reads out the EDID information the Mac gets back from a query of the device for its name, capabilities, and serial number. in an earlier investigation a User found that the serial number was there, but NOT in the correct field, so the Mac could not tell TWIN displays apart.

Apple has not responded favorably to suggestions that they "accept whatever junk the display provides, whether it meets the accepted standard or not".

Nov 10, 2022 5:38 AM in response to trooters

Thanks for this. I, too have 2 ASUS ProArt displays (PA278CVs), and my MacBook is getting confused as to which is which. According to the EDID information from SwitchResX (Thanks again, cool app), the serial numbers are different, but what is the correct field they should be in so macOS reads them correctly?

Under Displays in Settings, macOS labels them as PA278CV (1) and (2) respectively, but under System information it's

Displays:

PA278CV:

Resolution: 2560 x 1440 (QHD/WQHD - Wide Quad High Definition)

UI Looks like: 2560 x 1440 @ 60.00Hz

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Rotation: Supported

PA278CV:

Resolution: 2560 x 1440 (QHD/WQHD - Wide Quad High Definition)

UI Looks like: 2560 x 1440 @ 60.00Hz

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Rotation: Supported

I'm trying to contact ASUS support to see what they say.

Nov 15, 2022 4:57 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

"Apple has not responded favorably to suggestions that they "accept whatever junk the display provides, whether it meets the accepted standard or not"."

Ironic, as I'm only using two external displays as the supplied macbookpro screen failed after 18 months. Junk indeed.

This issue is really going to determine whether my replacement machine will be a mac or not. Judging by other comments, event the mac mini, designed for use with external monitors can't cope with many of the monitors people are using around the world (by the way, many folks don't buy a new monitor every time they change PC. Nor should they have to).

MacBook Pro 14 external monitors keep switching positions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.