Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Since TvOS 16 upgrade, my tv is losing the HDMI connection, with black screen and intermittent audio

Hi, since I upgraded my tv HD to TvOS 16, my device has been having some problems. It seems to be losing the HDMI connection at times when the screen would go momentarily black, like when I hit the menu button in a streaming app, or at the beginning of a YouTube video or a YouTube ad. For example, if I select a YouTube video, the screen goes black, audio returns part way through the ad, then I might see a little of the ad, then the image and audio cut out again, and I miss the beginning fo the video, with the audio returning before the image.

In other apps, if I hit "Menu," it just hangs for a few seconds before responding. My tv is connected to an NAD M51 DAC to strip out the audio before sending the video signal to a projector, and i can see on the screen of the DAC that the HDMI connection is disconnecting sometimes. Is there a safe way to revert to TvOS 15, or another way to fix this?

Thanks.

(this question is about a TvOS problem, but the website here will only let me select "Apple TV Hardware" as a topic, not TvOS.)

Apple TV HD, tvOS 16

Posted on Sep 18, 2022 1:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2022 3:50 PM

YouTube app is serving up ads at a different frame rate than the regular video. This is causing the hiccups every time the frame rate changes. The fix is to go to the "Settings - Video/Audio" on your Apple TV box and turn off "Match frame rate".

Similar questions

6 replies

Sep 18, 2022 3:22 PM in response to retrogusto

Have you tried a new 4K HDMI cable?

Also, if you are connected to the Internet via Wi-Fi, please test the Wi-Fi signal where the Apple TV is located. It is possible even though you have high speed Internet coming into your home that you do not have a strong enough Wi-Fi signal where the Apple TV is located. A good diagnostic tool for check your signals strength is iStumbler (for Mac OS) if you happen to be a Windows user I am sure you will find similar tools.

Sep 18, 2022 4:40 PM in response to rkaufmann87

Thanks. The HDMI cable I’m using is the one the tv came with, which has been fine up to this point. The cable from the DAC to the projector is a top-notch 4K cable, but the DAC is from 2013, so it doesn’t support the latest HDMI spec. But it was all working great until TvOS 16.

My WiFi router is highly rated one, less than a year old, about 6 feet away from the tv with nothing between, and I’m getting over 200mbps on my iPad further away, so I don’t think that’s the issue.

Since TvOS 16 upgrade, my tv is losing the HDMI connection, with black screen and intermittent audio

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.