Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using the Comcast wireless modem for Wifi; if I use Apple Airport; do I still need the Comcast modem?

Using the Comcast wireless modem for Wifi; if I use Apple Airport; do I still need the Comcast modem?

and how would I configure the Apple Airport to receive the Comcast signal.

Posted on Sep 19, 2022 7:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2022 9:17 AM

That "modem," as I suspected is a combination modem/router, or gateway device. It's actually an Arris TG1682g Xb3 model.

Unfortunately, as I mentioned before, since your AirPort is only the router portion of a gateway, it will not work if you substitute it for your Comcast-provided gateway. In order for it to work, you would need to purchase a separate modem.

Alternately, if you are satisfied with the Comcast gateway, see if they offer an option to purchase it vs. renting it.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 19, 2022 9:17 AM in response to raspberryaddiction

That "modem," as I suspected is a combination modem/router, or gateway device. It's actually an Arris TG1682g Xb3 model.

Unfortunately, as I mentioned before, since your AirPort is only the router portion of a gateway, it will not work if you substitute it for your Comcast-provided gateway. In order for it to work, you would need to purchase a separate modem.

Alternately, if you are satisfied with the Comcast gateway, see if they offer an option to purchase it vs. renting it.

Sep 19, 2022 8:41 AM in response to raspberryaddiction

It will depend on the exact model of your Comcast-provided "modem." If that device is a combination modem & wireless router, as I suspect, then you will not be able to use the AirPort base station alone, as it does not have a built-in modem. You need both devices to get Internet access. However, you can still use your AirPort if you require it, but it will need to be reconfigured to work properly.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.