Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Location service not working on my new iPad 9th generation Wi-Fi only.

I have bought a new iPad 9th generation Wi-Fi only. I have updated latest version of iOS. When I tried to locate myself in any maps being it apple maps or being it google maps . It say location can’t be determined at this time. I have done troubleshooting steps. I erased my iPad, reset , restart my device yet it showing same issues, also my date and time can’t detect automatically, I need to manually add Indian time. Please reply anyone 😑

Posted on Sep 19, 2022 1:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 19, 2022 4:39 PM

Location Services may be working within its limitations…

Only WiFi+Cellular models of iPad have GNSS/GPS with which to derive precision location - this being a function of the iPad Cellular chipset.  By contrast, WiFi Only models of iPad have no GPS capabilities with which iPad Location Services can derive location. This fundamental difference may significantly impact your ability to use mapping Apps - in particular if real-time positioning (e.g., a moving map) is required.

WiFi Only models can only “infer” their location from a database lookup of neighbouring WiFi networks for which the geographic location is known, or the geographic location of your public IP address. For static applications in urban locations, where the location of IP public IP addresses and WiFi networks are known, an “inferred” location can be relatively accurate. However, in rural locations, or when using a Cellular/Satellite/VPN connection, location accuracy of an inferred location [if it works at all] may be very inaccurate. 

If you need to have moving maps, or reliable operation of Location Services, you’ll need to consider a WiFi+Cellular model of iPad. Choosing a cellular model does not commit you to adding a cellular service plan for the iPad, but ensures that you have immediate access to GPS/GNSS positioning services.

An alternative is to add GPS capability by using a bluetooth GPS receiver - such as BadElf, Garmin Glo, or similar.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 19, 2022 4:39 PM in response to Itoibur

Location Services may be working within its limitations…

Only WiFi+Cellular models of iPad have GNSS/GPS with which to derive precision location - this being a function of the iPad Cellular chipset.  By contrast, WiFi Only models of iPad have no GPS capabilities with which iPad Location Services can derive location. This fundamental difference may significantly impact your ability to use mapping Apps - in particular if real-time positioning (e.g., a moving map) is required.

WiFi Only models can only “infer” their location from a database lookup of neighbouring WiFi networks for which the geographic location is known, or the geographic location of your public IP address. For static applications in urban locations, where the location of IP public IP addresses and WiFi networks are known, an “inferred” location can be relatively accurate. However, in rural locations, or when using a Cellular/Satellite/VPN connection, location accuracy of an inferred location [if it works at all] may be very inaccurate. 

If you need to have moving maps, or reliable operation of Location Services, you’ll need to consider a WiFi+Cellular model of iPad. Choosing a cellular model does not commit you to adding a cellular service plan for the iPad, but ensures that you have immediate access to GPS/GNSS positioning services.

An alternative is to add GPS capability by using a bluetooth GPS receiver - such as BadElf, Garmin Glo, or similar.

Location service not working on my new iPad 9th generation Wi-Fi only.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.