Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WatchOS 9 Battery Drain on Cellular/GPS

I have the AW Series 5. During my runs, I would stream music and track my workout and the battery would drain about 12% an hour. After upgrading to WatchOS 9, my battery is draining 20-25% an hour now. Is this a known issue? Anyone else experiencing this?

Apple Watch Series 5

Posted on Sep 20, 2022 10:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2022 2:08 PM

I can confirm now, I disabled cellular on my watch and have given it over a week to test. Disabling cellular resolved the battery drain and high temperature issues on my watch. Hopefully Apple is quick to fix the issue with cellular, having cellular capabilities was a large part of why I decided to buy my Apple Watch.

22 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 29, 2022 2:08 PM in response to dimozaur

I can confirm now, I disabled cellular on my watch and have given it over a week to test. Disabling cellular resolved the battery drain and high temperature issues on my watch. Hopefully Apple is quick to fix the issue with cellular, having cellular capabilities was a large part of why I decided to buy my Apple Watch.

Sep 21, 2022 12:01 AM in response to logan2k

I also have this issue, my Watch Series 7 is less than a month old, on WatchOS 8 I got an average of around 28hrs battery life while using the watch for things like working out for an hour a day, regular notifications, and directions on maps. Since updating to WatchOS 9 my battery now drains from 100% to 29% in just over 3 hours and the watch gets very hot on my wrist. I have tried things like disabling background app refresh, turning off the always-on display, unpairing and pairing again, and a forced reboot, nothing helps. This watch is less than a month old and I have always charged it with the official apple charger. Previous to updating to watchOS 9, I had background app refresh on, always-on display on, cellular and wifi on, etc and was still getting the 28hrs on watchOS 8. It seems there may be a bug in the watchOS 9.0 firmware that's causing issues with the battery.

My main concern at this point is that the extra heat being generated is doing permanent damage to my battery on my watch.

Sep 28, 2022 1:00 PM in response to Frejyasdaeg

I have similar situation to yours – Apple Watch Series 7 was bought month prior to the release of WatchOS 9 and worked perfectly fine – I was able to track sleep, workouts, listen to music with Always On display feature enables and still have 40% by the end of the day. After updating, I have less than 10% by the end of the day. Probably there is a WatchOS 9 battery issue that cause to drain it a lot. In my case, even new Low Power mode is not helping a lot.

Sep 29, 2022 5:34 AM in response to logan2k

Update: I tried unpairing and restoring from backup. Still have the same issue. I'd try unpairing and set it up as new if it wasn't such a nightmare getting cellular working again after unpairing. Every time I do this, I need to call Verizon to get cellular re-enabled.

After some testing, the issue is definitely specific to cellular battery drain. When I disable cellular and use the gps, battery drain is within the normal range. When the watch is operating on cellular+gps, there is excessive battery drain. For now, I am disabling cellular during my runs and hoping Apple fixes this issue in the next update. If not, I'll have to try unpair and setup as new.

Sep 29, 2022 6:24 AM in response to logan2k

Haha.. now I'm smart, I will not upgrade before someone else say have no issue... 😅

Apple software engineer really like a trash, every years a new version release sure have battery issue.. how come they never notice battery life issue even every new version release. That why I call Apple software engineer is trash!

Oct 12, 2022 6:14 PM in response to logan2k

Same issue here but with Series 6 no cellular. Prior to update, it lasts me the whole day even with heavy workout, with everything they way I want it running. It could even last until the morning on days I forget to remove it. But immediately after the update, it’s less than 50% by; but also touchscreen loses sensitivity after the first hour workout, everytime. I’ve tried resetting, unpairing and pairing. It’s the same. There’s a minor update but it hasn’t addressed the issue at all. I now have to charge within the day just to get through the day. Sucks!

Oct 15, 2022 12:14 AM in response to logan2k

Hi, my series 5 also had the battery drain issue, but also the screen froze, especially overnight when wearing in bed.

One solution I found suggested was to unpair and repair the watch - didn't solve. I then found that the freeze issue was related to particular watch faces, especially the Unity Lights one - I used that. Changed to a Chronograph Pro screen - no more freezing AND no more battery drain 🤗

Oct 28, 2022 5:11 AM in response to logan2k

Yep same problem with my sons Apple Watch SE. He is currently devastated as he loves his watch (which he saved for) and now it only lasts half a day at best. Everything was perfectly fine 2 days ago then he installed the update to 9.1

we have already tried repairing it but that didn’t help. Have just done a complete wipe and reset so fingers crossed. Apple really need to sort this out. This watch is only a few months old and if it’s now stuffed due to this update Apple will be replacing it with a brand new one.

WatchOS 9 Battery Drain on Cellular/GPS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.