Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Mail won't send email but Outlook will

Using OS Catalina, my non- iCloud email using Apple Mail suddenly stopped allowing me to send emails, but I can still receive them. It gives a message that the server timed out and try a different server and it is offline ? ? The iCloud email works fine.

Outlook does work. So the problem isn't with my email provider, it seems to be with Apple Mail. There are no updates available and my email settings haven't changed. Any solutions?

Thanks

Posted on Sep 20, 2022 2:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2022 10:26 AM

I have seen various reports of this problem here on this forum. For some reason when Mail is attempting to connect with the email provider's server. either your user ID or your password are not being received correctly and the server times out and disconnects. You can carefully check your user ID and passwords in Mail's preferences or delete the account and create a new one. If you do that, be sure to move any existing email messages to a local folder first or they will be lost. That is why I use Thunderbird for my emails. Never a problem.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 21, 2022 10:26 AM in response to Soft-Ware

I have seen various reports of this problem here on this forum. For some reason when Mail is attempting to connect with the email provider's server. either your user ID or your password are not being received correctly and the server times out and disconnects. You can carefully check your user ID and passwords in Mail's preferences or delete the account and create a new one. If you do that, be sure to move any existing email messages to a local folder first or they will be lost. That is why I use Thunderbird for my emails. Never a problem.

Apple Mail won't send email but Outlook will

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.