Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Encrypting external HDD

I started encrypting an external HDD with my MacBook Air by "right-clicking" the HDD icon, and then clicking encrypt. (Not by using Disk Utility and erasing the data)

The problem is, I can't find a way to see how much of the encryption process has been completed. It is a 1TB HDD, and I have seen it can take days to encrypt, and that you can disconnect it from your computer and it will start encrypting when you plug it back in, but I would like to have an idea of how long it is going to take.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Sep 20, 2022 2:30 PM

4 replies

Sep 20, 2022 2:37 PM in response to somo_

Encryption with Apple drives is usually handled as CoreStorage volumes (Unless we're talking T2 Chip M1 or M2 Chip on-board encryption)

Meaning, using this terminal command might list if the encryption is in progress or not finished yet in the CoreStorage Volume Details:

diskutil cs list

(for the nervous types) the above Command Translates to:

Use/Command Disk Utility → Target all detected CoreStorage volumes → List Details of all Core Storage volumes

At least you'll have more information than you started with.

Encrypting external HDD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.