Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Late 2013 iMac 24GB Ram 2TB SSD, 500GB external SSD

Dear all,

I keep getting Kernel panics for no apparent reason. I have installed Bootcamp on an external SSD which is powered by an external USB bank (powered by an electric socket for better power). It has just occurred to me, that the iMac crashes when I have forgotten to turn on the external SSD drive as I do not think it is needed while I am not running windows.

Here is the the error recorded:

2022-09-21 09:06:08 Kernel Panic

Details:

panic(cpu 0 caller 0xffffff7f9330c33c): "ntfs_attr_record_move_for_att

r_list_attribute(): err\n"@/AppleInternal/BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com

.apple.xbs/Sources/ntfs/ntfs-98.1.2/kext/ntfs_attr.c:3614

It is always the same error.

I have currently switched on the power to the external SSD and so far had no crashes.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Christos

iMac, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 20, 2022 11:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2022 5:09 AM

"ntfs" mentioned in the error is referring to the NTFS file system which is used by Windows. I'm guessing if Windows is configured as a default startup disk, then the iMac's firmware/NVRAM will be looking for the Windows system files located on an NTFS volume. There is also a chance the iMac's firmware is looking for bootable volumes if no default startup disk and is having an error when it cannot find the Windows volume (the Windows' bootloader may actually be located on the internal drive -- not sure since I've never tried booting Windows externally).

FYI, I don't use Bootcamp, but from my understanding from reading these forums that BootCamp and Windows are not supported on external drives. Great if it works, but officially it is not supported.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 21, 2022 5:09 AM in response to Christos_C

"ntfs" mentioned in the error is referring to the NTFS file system which is used by Windows. I'm guessing if Windows is configured as a default startup disk, then the iMac's firmware/NVRAM will be looking for the Windows system files located on an NTFS volume. There is also a chance the iMac's firmware is looking for bootable volumes if no default startup disk and is having an error when it cannot find the Windows volume (the Windows' bootloader may actually be located on the internal drive -- not sure since I've never tried booting Windows externally).

FYI, I don't use Bootcamp, but from my understanding from reading these forums that BootCamp and Windows are not supported on external drives. Great if it works, but officially it is not supported.

Late 2013 iMac 24GB Ram 2TB SSD, 500GB external SSD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.