Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone 14 pro dim screen

Hi - I have just acquired the iPhone 14 pro, and this morning I noticed that for some reason the phone brightness had randomly reduced. The only way to resolve was to manually increase the brightness. Checked all my settings - in display auto brightness off, in accessibility auto-brightness off and white point off, low power mode off….any help welcomed - thanks

iPhone 14 Pro, iOS 16

Posted on Sep 21, 2022 12:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2022 12:44 AM

Turn OFF Night Shift

1. Open Control Center. Firmly press the Brightness control icon, then tap. to turn Night Shift on or off.
  2. Go to Settings > Display & Brightness > Night Shift. On the same screen, you can schedule a time for Night Shift to turn on automatically and adjust color temperature.

Use Night Shift on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 21, 2022 12:44 AM in response to Vista12

Turn OFF Night Shift

1. Open Control Center. Firmly press the Brightness control icon, then tap. to turn Night Shift on or off.
  2. Go to Settings > Display & Brightness > Night Shift. On the same screen, you can schedule a time for Night Shift to turn on automatically and adjust color temperature.

Use Night Shift on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Sep 21, 2022 2:05 AM in response to Vista12

Just adding that I have this issue too. Every morning when I pick up the phone from the charger the screen brightness is at its lowest and I have to manually increase the brightness to my preferred level. iPhone 14 Pro, same settings as Vista12. Wondering if it could be something to do with the always-on display. I'll turn off the always-on display when I charge it tonight and report back.

Sep 22, 2022 7:32 PM in response to Vista12

Hi again - just woke up and tried my iPhone and same problem the brightness had randomly dimmed right down - must be a bug in the system as I have changed no settings, one day it’s ok, then for some unknown reason it just dims! I will speak to apple support to see if this is something that they have picked up and whether there is a fix - Thanks

Oct 2, 2022 8:43 PM in response to Vista12

Same problem. I have checked all the settings seeming to have a potential impact (automatic dark/light - off, TrueTone - off, Night Shift - off, Auto-Brightness - off). Always on I’ve left on because it was indicated in the thread that it didn’t fix the problem and the always-on screen is kind of a major point of this upgrade. Also updated to 16.0.2 because of some comments indicating a fix in a similar thread about the 14 pro max, but it did not fix the issue. Seems to be a bug, and an annoying one, if only once per day…

Oct 2, 2022 11:01 PM in response to Fundtj

Hi - I spoke with Apple support again, this time they advised to toggle the “always on” off which I did a few days ago, and since this I have had no issues. The “always on” seems to be involved with the issue. Try this….I promised to report back to apple on the fix, which I will do later today - good luck - regards

Oct 3, 2022 1:59 AM in response to SravanKrA

This made a significant difference for me. With night shift on, my brightness was up past 50% and the display still looked a little dim. I turned it off using the above tip and was immediately able to turn brightness down to between 25-30%. This was using 16.0.2 on iPhone 14 Pro. I did not notice this problem using same version of iOS on iPhone 12, but I only had a few days with that OS on that phone before I upgraded.

iphone 14 pro dim screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.