Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Security update and also update to Monterey problem

Imac (Retina 4k, 21.5inch late 2015) running Mac OS 10.13.6 via an eternal hard drive (1TB Scandisk Extreme SSD media)

Have been unable to update to latest security due to an error message.

Thought I would install Monterey but get the error message attached.

I am installing Monterey on the original iMac hard drive. What is the best way to get all my documents etc over to the original hard drive ?

I will the delete the external hard drive and will it just be a case of copying over from my mac hard drive (If so how) and how do I not encounter the same partition scheme problem ?

Thanks

Posted on Sep 21, 2022 3:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2022 6:31 PM

I would make sure to also have a good backup on a dedicated backup drive as well.

If this iMac has an internal hard drive (including a Fusion Drive setup), then I would be concerned about the health of the hard drive for a Mac this old. An OS install/upgrade can be very stressful to an old hard drive that may already have issues that you may not have noticed yet. Plus things can go wrong in other ways.

AFAIK, Migration Assistant will only allow migrating to the same or newer OS. You always need to be careful when moving data to an older OS since some documents may not be compatible with older versions of apps (especially preference files).

Yes, if the external drive had a GUID partition, then it would have avoided the problem. As you have found out sometimes it is technically possible to boot macOS from an improperly partitioned drive. Or maybe something happened to the partition table and it only sees the MBR partition information which macOS also includes within the GUID partition table. You could try running Disk Utility First Aid on the whole physical drive to see if anything shows up. Within Disk Utility you may need to click "View" and select "Show All Devices" before the physical drive appears on the left pane of Disk Utility. For an external drive the physical drive may be identified by the Make & Model of the external drive or possibly by the USB chipset used in the drive enclosure/adapter/hub.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 21, 2022 6:31 PM in response to Faymondos

I would make sure to also have a good backup on a dedicated backup drive as well.

If this iMac has an internal hard drive (including a Fusion Drive setup), then I would be concerned about the health of the hard drive for a Mac this old. An OS install/upgrade can be very stressful to an old hard drive that may already have issues that you may not have noticed yet. Plus things can go wrong in other ways.

AFAIK, Migration Assistant will only allow migrating to the same or newer OS. You always need to be careful when moving data to an older OS since some documents may not be compatible with older versions of apps (especially preference files).

Yes, if the external drive had a GUID partition, then it would have avoided the problem. As you have found out sometimes it is technically possible to boot macOS from an improperly partitioned drive. Or maybe something happened to the partition table and it only sees the MBR partition information which macOS also includes within the GUID partition table. You could try running Disk Utility First Aid on the whole physical drive to see if anything shows up. Within Disk Utility you may need to click "View" and select "Show All Devices" before the physical drive appears on the left pane of Disk Utility. For an external drive the physical drive may be identified by the Make & Model of the external drive or possibly by the USB chipset used in the drive enclosure/adapter/hub.

Sep 21, 2022 5:17 AM in response to Faymondos

The error message in the picture seems pretty self explanatory. The external drive is not using the correct partition scheme required by macOS. The only way to fix the problem is by erasing the whole external drive so it has a GUID Partition scheme and the appropriate file system (APFS for macOS 10.14+). Of course erasing the drive destroys all data on that drive.

To transfer items depends on the current setup of the internal drive and exactly what you hope to accomplish. You can use Migration Assistant if you want to transfer an entire macOS user account, but this will either replace the current user account on the destination or it will create another macOS user account. If you don't want either of these outcomes, then you can manually transfer the files from the source to the destination using the Finder, or even using a third party app like Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC). CCC may be needed if the macOS user accounts on each drive use different userIDs (do NOT change the userIDs) as it will ask for admin privileges to access areas outside of your own user account.

Sep 21, 2022 1:48 PM in response to HWTech

I do not use the original hard drive on the mac for anything so if I copy it over using migration assistant and check everything is Ok I can then wipe the external hard drive and assume I need to set it up as a GUID partition and then copy back from the mac hard drive.

Once this is done I can then update to the latest OS for mac ?

Cheers for the reply.

So if I has set the external HD up originally as GUID I would have dodged this problem ?

Before I attempt this would there be any erase the external HD would not let me set up as GUID once wiped ?

Security update and also update to Monterey problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.