Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why is internet recovery installing monterey?

Hi folks. Oldish Macbook Pro. I just had the battery replaced through the genius bar and it came back with an apparently fatal keychain error... argh. Anyway.

Trying to reinstall from backup. Erased the hard drive, fine. But going through internet recovery only gives me the option to install Monterey, not - as I expected/wanted - the OS that it shipped with (which I think was Mavericks). What I *want*/need is High Sierra, which I could get to by upgrading from there. That's the OS that my backup has, but that is not installing.

Ideas/help? Thanks!

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Jan 11, 2023 8:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 11, 2023 8:44 PM

Is this the reason?

Command (⌘)-R

Install the latest macOS that was installed on your Mac.

Option-⌘-R

Upgrade to the latest macOS compatible with your Mac.

Shift-Option-⌘-R

Install the macOS that came with your Mac, or the closest version still available.

To get back to original or even Mojave, you'll have to Erase the whole drive, as Catalina & up split the drive in two & also use APFS format instead f MacOS Extended.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 11, 2023 8:44 PM in response to ewanmcnay

Is this the reason?

Command (⌘)-R

Install the latest macOS that was installed on your Mac.

Option-⌘-R

Upgrade to the latest macOS compatible with your Mac.

Shift-Option-⌘-R

Install the macOS that came with your Mac, or the closest version still available.

To get back to original or even Mojave, you'll have to Erase the whole drive, as Catalina & up split the drive in two & also use APFS format instead f MacOS Extended.

Jan 11, 2023 8:26 PM in response to ewanmcnay

[When I pick the option to 'reinstall from backup' it goes to the 'Preparing to restore "Macintosh HD" screen and then just sits doing nothing for at least 12 hours.]

This has been several days of frustration; once I did (somehow) get it to install the backup but then got the same keychain vanishing, all files and user ID vanish, issue. I plan to immediately make a keychain copy if I can get back to that stage.

Oddly, I have - thankfully - a backup machine that I'm using, same vintage, and the backup installed there no problem... I wish I had never tried to replace the &$^( battery!

Jan 11, 2023 8:37 PM in response to Mo_1357

Late 2014 I think (it's trying again to restore right now so I cannot check, but this one is 2013 and it was shortly after that, same model).

Installing fresh Monterey worked fine BUT means I can't use many of my apps (and runs really REALLY slowly) so not useful. Downloading the High Sierra installer while running Monterey got an error that it wasn't compatible.

why is internet recovery installing monterey?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.