Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

webp images in FCP

This was previously addressed, but I still have a question: I downloaded an image from Google and I am forced to save as a .webp When I import this image to FCP, everything seems OK. Any reason that I shouldn't proceed? This community and apple.com help suggest that the format is not compatible and that conversion will be necessary. Has this changed?

iMac 27″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Sep 21, 2022 6:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2022 5:28 AM

Thanks for that Michael. The link takes me to a page that redirects with a link to the New Scientist article on puppies. I can right-click on the puppy image and select Save Image As. This will save a JPEG to wherever I select. If I use Save Image to Downloads it's .jpg.webp. The file will work as I suspect FCP just ignores the .webp. You could also remove .webp and leave .jpg and that works too. It's just a JPEG file.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 22, 2022 5:28 AM in response to Michael Groarke

Thanks for that Michael. The link takes me to a page that redirects with a link to the New Scientist article on puppies. I can right-click on the puppy image and select Save Image As. This will save a JPEG to wherever I select. If I use Save Image to Downloads it's .jpg.webp. The file will work as I suspect FCP just ignores the .webp. You could also remove .webp and leave .jpg and that works too. It's just a JPEG file.

Sep 22, 2022 5:07 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Thanks Tom. I downloaded this image:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.newscientist.com%2Farticle%2F2279726-puppies-are-born-with-the-genetic-ability-to-understand-humans%2F&psig=AOvVaw0_mekyvE5bdL5qtY4Y0tWK&ust=1663934645211000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAwQjRxqFwoTCNjAyd2tqPoCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAD

and added it into a FCP project using version 10.5.4

My OS is 12.5.1

The suffix on the file is .webp

Both Chrome and Safari force me to take this format as the download.

webp images in FCP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.