Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Email clients and web browsers

I'm confused. For some reason, when I click a link in my email client (either Outlook or Mail), I get different 'actions' from the default browser.

For example, with Safari (not my preferred browser because I don't really like the interface) set as the default browser, clicking a link in an email opens the page in the browser, as I would expect it to.

With Microsoft Edge, the same action results in two tabs being opened in the same window, specifically my default homepage and the page linked in the email.

With Firefox (my preferred browser - until now) clicking the same link opens two separate windows, one with default homepage and another with the page linked in the email.

Does anyone have any ideas why this should be the case, please, and is there a way to only open the linked page, not the homepage?

Thanks

EDIT: This only happens when the browser is not already 'active', i.e. running either in the background or with an open window.

Posted on Sep 21, 2022 9:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2022 9:36 AM

Firefox > Settings > General then select how to open links (new window/new tab)

Similar questions

4 replies

Sep 21, 2022 9:28 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

This happens with any incoming email, so I'll need to know how to find out how they're written.

When I clicked on the link in the email generated by your reply, for example, the same things happened. Or for any marketing email, too.

EDIT: OK, so I've found a setting in Edge which seems to have solved that problem, but can't find a similar on in Firefox. Maybe it's time to change back to Edge!

Email clients and web browsers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.