Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Issues with Mail functions In OS 12.6

Mail seems to be behaving unusually since the OS update to 12.5.1 and now continuing with 12.6.

When clicking on an unread email there is no content in the right email view window. Double-clicking on the email it opens but there is no content. After clicking numerous times the contents of the email are finally shown after a few minutes in both the right email view window and the double-clicked to open the Email.

Clicking reply on the blank email there is no response while the content is blank, but once the content is finally displayed it is then possible to click the reply icon and get a response.

Previously opened emails will show contents immediately upon clicking on them.

I have tried rebuilding mail: - Messages -> Rebuild. 

The current version of mail is 16.0 (3696.120.41.1.1)

Is there any solution to this issue as it can take quite a while for the contents of newly opened emails to be revealed?

Posted on Sep 21, 2022 10:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2022 1:38 AM

Well to compare - back in the time of the Motorola PPC with OS X 10.4 Tiger and the native Apple Mail Application from that day forwards to present has always performed as Designed and Intended on any of my various machines including the M -Class Computers in my stable of machines

Then would suggest two possible solutions ;

1 - Get Support Choose a product and we’ll find you the best solution.Start now and open an Apple Support Ticket as they are Paid Apple Employees to deal will these types of issues . We on the ASC Forums are only volunteers

2 - Product Feedback - Apple and make it known to Apple regarding this ongoing issue 

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 23, 2022 1:38 AM in response to Memoire

Well to compare - back in the time of the Motorola PPC with OS X 10.4 Tiger and the native Apple Mail Application from that day forwards to present has always performed as Designed and Intended on any of my various machines including the M -Class Computers in my stable of machines

Then would suggest two possible solutions ;

1 - Get Support Choose a product and we’ll find you the best solution.Start now and open an Apple Support Ticket as they are Paid Apple Employees to deal will these types of issues . We on the ASC Forums are only volunteers

2 - Product Feedback - Apple and make it known to Apple regarding this ongoing issue 

Sep 23, 2022 7:23 AM in response to Memoire

Re-Reading previous posting - current version of Monterey is no longer 12.5.1 but now 12.6

As for Adding mail Boxes " On My Mac " in the Sidebar of Apple Mail refer to below image.

Click to the right of " On My Mac " and another popup will appear and choose the Name of the " On My Mac " FOLDER you what to Create

Sep 22, 2022 2:10 PM in response to PRP_53

I appreciate the reply P. Phillips, thank you.

Thank you for the links but these don't address the issue as far as I can figure out.

I've used Apple Mail since Mac OS X Panther on a Performa Mac I had at the time, this verions of Mail was released on October 24, 2003 it seems.

I have some concerned that the files within Mail have become overloaded.

About 15 years ago I recall making archives and saving these to the HD before deleting those archives within Mail in order to make space. I've forgotten how to do that.

Now after 12.5.1 when I click on a new eMail it doesn't show in the left side window until 30 seconds or so has passed; if I double click the same email the spearate window opens but this is also blank at first, yet again after waiting for 30 seconds the contents is revealed.

Clicking previously opened and revealed emails the contents are shown immediately, as previously when clicking an new incoming email.

Any ideas how to resolve the issue would be most welcom as it's frustrating waiting for the mail contents to show.

Thank you

Sep 23, 2022 2:50 AM in response to Old Toad

I appreciate your reply Old Toad, thank you as the outcome I explain below worked out perfect.

The checkbox you indicated in the Privacy setting "Block All Remote Content" was already unchecked.

I did however cycle through; uncheck "Protect Mail Activity" -> "Check "Block All Remote Content" -"> Check "Protect Mail Activity"; => Then uncheck "Protect Mail Activity" -> "UNCHECK "Block All Remote Content" -"> Check "Protect Mail Activity". Then I tried to open a new email and the content was shown immediately, so the outcome is perfect.

Sep 23, 2022 2:57 AM in response to PRP_53

Thank you P. Phillips for taking the time to reply.

I played about with the check boxes that Old Toad commented on, as can be seen in my reply to Old Toad. This seems for now to have resolved the issue.

Thank you for the two links you sent, these could be very useful in future.

Of course I fully realise that ASC Forums responses are from volunteers; so obviously I fully appreciate the responses and the time invested is supporting those of us whose brain has ossified and is no longer capable of resolving issues that one would have been able to figure out in the past.

Sep 23, 2022 10:02 AM in response to PRP_53

Greetings P. Phillips I appreciate your continued support, thank you for your time.

Yes, I am using OS 12.6, as I mentioned in the initial post; " Mail seems to be behaving unusually since the OS update to 12.5.1 and now continuing with 12.6."

I believe there is a misunderstanding. I was referring to archives that can be saved to a folder within Mail, almost identical to what you covered, then that achieve saved to the HD, after which the archived file can be deleted from mail to make space within Mail, then at some future stage uploaded into mail again.

I followed this process over 15 years ago, so those archives are on a disc backup somewhere! As I mentioned I have forgotten how to first make the special archives and then save them to an HD before they are deleted from Mail.

On a side note I already have a number of folders titled "On My Mac", I am unsure whether these files can be deleted and then reloaded again at some stage.

Is saving emails in folders under "On My Mac" will place those emails onto the HD outside Mail DB?

Update Original Issue: The same original issue showed up again after closing Mail, when I opened mail again the same issue occurred of New emails being blank. I followed the original process above of; Privacy => Uncheck "Protect Mail Activity" -> "Check "Block All Remote Content" -> Then check "Protect Mail Activity" -> " which automatically UNCHECKS "Block All Remote Content" -"> after which the New emails would show immediately the contents once clicked.

I notice that n0007372 who commented on this thread is having the same issue with blank emails.

Issues with Mail functions In OS 12.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.