Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dual display layout

Dual displays can be very resource heavy. When is that resource cost too high? What display deficiencies impact macOS? Apple macOS dual display support is weak. Extra display real estate can result in user data loss.

Using the Displays preference module, users cannot toggle Primary display status and Secondary display status to configure dual displays. That deficiency invokes at the very least physically swapping displays, with questionable long term results.

Apple does not provide displays that are large enough for our needs. We prefer a dual 3 foot monitor range with 2 billion colors plus in each display, as shown below.

Unfortunately, macOS Reinstall typically sets up the display on the left as Display (1). This may be due to MacPro automatically assigning display numbers based on Display WiFi proximity to the Mac device during the Reinstall process.

In our experience, the desired Mac (2) (1) layout (as in the image above) never happens: our desired display numbering is sadly reversed by macOS, consistently creating far too many Erase-Reinstall disasters. Where Displays preferences fix the unwanted Mac (1) (2) layout. Display cable changes are always ineffective. A physical half hour display swap with both displays plugged in and running throughout the swap is the only solution. As if w3 ins/main element war and time element pubdate phrasing weren't bad enough! Mac's got our better half.

This means that during Sierra-HighSierra and Monterey 12.5.1-12.6 system Reinstalls, the Software Update totally trashes our User personal data, beginning with a typical corrupt Desktop. 12.6 ignored our iCloud preference where we carefully unselect iCloud Documents and Desktop. Auto-selecting that unwanted preference, the rogue 12.6 update deleted over 2 TB of suddenly intermittent remains of Cloud-Local data. 

Leaving us with fake 12.6 Desktop icons that blinked and spluttered (if at all available) and considerable loss of personal data. Every time this happens, Apple Care gimps, “You should Erase your computer and Reinstall. I hope you have a backup.” Apple Airport to the rescue.

Backup viability depends on risky Airport susceptibility to Apple malware Software Updates. The 12.6 fiasco wiped out 80% of our Airport content. We found one last viable restore chain! Good thing we also do manual external enclosure SSD backups. Because during that 12.6 fiasco, Apple forced a second, more intensive data destruction. 

I must confess to dual display addiction. It is noted that each 3 foot display here is better than full Adobe 2 billion colors, keeping our Pro Alpine Explorers ready at all times for the worst cold that Old Man Weather can offer! Maybe we can share 3rd Display possibilities another day. For now, how do we improve our dual Displays preferences?

Posted on Sep 21, 2022 7:12 PM

Similar questions

8 replies

Sep 21, 2022 7:31 PM in response to Osiyo

That’s a lot of text to digest and distill.

Running multiple high-resolution displays can tax the graphics subsystem, and does require memory, yes.

Scaled setting is going to be more performance-intensive.

Selecting primary is done by dragging the menu bar in settings.

Considered something newer than that Mac Pro 2013, and maybe with an LG OLED or other mid-upper panel?

Base M1 supports two displays, and upper-end supports four.

Probably already aware of these:

Use multiple displays with your Mac Pro (Late 2013) - Apple Support

Use one or more external displays with your Mac - Apple Support

Connect a display to your Mac - Apple Support

https://www.alphr.com/move-dock-monitor-mac/

Sep 22, 2022 7:06 AM in response to Osiyo

<< Backup viability depends on risky Airport susceptibility to Apple malware Software Updates. >>

You should NOT be doing backups over Wi-Fi. That is not a deficiency in the Mac.

This machine has multiple USB-3 ports for direct connection of external backup drives, and Dual Gigabit Ethernet for connection of high-powered backup servers, such as Network Attached Storage (NAS) device.

Sep 22, 2022 7:12 AM in response to Osiyo

This machine is capable of driving three displays like the ones you are using (which appear to be "4K" displays) and does not spend inordinate amounts of resources doing so, because it has a separate graphics card dedicated to display interfaces, the first graphics card is free for un-interrupted graphics processing. Graphics cards have private display RAM (not shared-with-system RAM).

it is a quite capable graphics machine, but is no longer the state of the art, having been released in 2013.

Sep 22, 2022 7:31 AM in response to Osiyo

As I read it, the essence of your long-winded and divergent rant has to do with primary and secondary displays switching places, at numerous junctures, and likely during some simple restarts.

Forum Users have seen that problem before when certain models of TWIN displays (same make & model) were in use, as yours appear to be. This is caused by a design defect in the specific models of display you are using. If you were to switch to two displays that were not design-defective, or switch to two non-identical models of displays, the issue is likely to abate.

The Mac determines the NAME of the displays, as shown to you as the title of the displays Preferences Window, despite you never having typed that display-name into your Mac. The Mac determines the capabilities of your display using the same query to the displays.

--------

The problem with TWIN displays comes because the Mac also uses the VESA-defined 'serial number' field in the query'responce to determine which display is connected where. If a display manufacturer does not provide unique information for each display in the proper field, the displays are indistinguishable to the Mac, and swapping can occur.

Quick work-around is to install a second maker's display as the second display.

Long term resolution is to pressure the display maker to fix the deficiency in this specific model display, and provide unique display serial number is the proper field. Otherwise, these displays appear identical, and the Mac freely swaps them around.

The class of features under discussion here is referred to as "Plug and Play" information on that other computer system.

A display firmware update is likely to be needed once the manufacturer has implemented the fix.

Sep 25, 2022 12:45 AM in response to Osiyo

Did anyone wonder what means "unwanted Mac (1) (2)" above? That's my desktop layout enforced by macOS Erase Reinstall.. I just now did the physical display swap again. So. right-to-left my equipment is seen by me as follows:

MAC on left, then secondary display 2 in middle, then primary display 1 on right.

MacOS correctly reports this as Mac (2) 'extended' (1) 'primary' with all my empty workspace on the left and all my viewable and clickable icons on the right. This is the only sensible layout. The layout that I have to fight for... physically, eveytime I install macOS.

Sep 25, 2022 1:21 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thank you, Grant. Our community uses fiber optic with hardwire 4.000 Terabytes per second. Oddly, macOS and/or Mac Pro cannot handle that speed without 358 MB per second WiFi running simultaneously. Our backups occur over CAT45 under the 4K FiBER umbrella with both hardwire and WiFi. Your response does not induce tension, but it does highlight existing concerns about performance and stability. 358 and 4K are alien garble to me.

FYI Our Apple Airport Extremes do not have USB nor USB-C connectors, and rely upon that good old CAT's Meow! ISP does 38% of Internet in North America and insists that CAT45 is compatible without concerns. When ISP tech visits to run tests, our 'inside' home network connection is 700-800 MB/s. Actual throughput, well your guess is as good as mine. Local snoop utilities show that we connect at about 60-70 MB/second. Apple Care confirms. "Macs are reliable, but not Speed Demons".

Sep 25, 2022 1:40 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Again, thanks Grant. My circuit board is same as current Mac Pro because this Mac created by Cupertino in late October 2018. I do hope I get to upgrade my circuit board with an M2 version, but for now it's dual graphics Intel, as you so eloquently describe.

2018, not 2013, hopefully 2023.

News break: Canadian Pop Can turns into Fire Can 😀

Dual display layout

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.