Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem with screen mirroring

I have problems with screen mirroring. Does anyone know if the problem is that my MacBook is too old, and that is why it's not working?

So I am trying to screen mirror between my iMac which has macOS Monterey version 12.6 and my MacBook which has macOS Big Sur version 11.7.

I have just uptated both and restarted them. Both are in the same wi-fi network and bluetooth on. My MacBook has the screen mirroring option but I just can't mirror the screen between these two. I was able to use my iPad to mirror with my iMac.

Is the problem just that my macbook is a lot older than my imac and that's why it's not possible, or what might be the problem?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.7

Posted on Sep 22, 2022 2:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2022 8:04 AM

Set up your Mac to be an AirPlay receiver

You can turn on AirPlay Receiver to receive video and audio content from any nearby Mac, iPhone, or iPad on the same network.

The AirPlay Receiver option is available on supported Mac computers with macOS Monterey or later. See the Apple Support article System requirements for Continuity on Mac, iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Apple Watch.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 22, 2022 8:04 AM in response to appleyy24

You can turn on AirPlay Receiver to receive video and audio content from any nearby Mac, iPhone, or iPad on the same network.

The AirPlay Receiver option is available on supported Mac computers with macOS Monterey or later. See the Apple Support article System requirements for Continuity on Mac, iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and Apple Watch.

Sep 23, 2022 10:25 AM in response to appleyy24

It is unclear which of the macs you want to mirror.

You can't mirror your iMac screen onto the MacBook, because Big Sur does not support "Airplay Receiver" (at least not natively; there are paid third party software programs like AirServer, which do allow that).

You should be able to mirror the MacBook screen onto the iMac, though.

The way to do it is different in Big Sur. I don't have a Big Sur mac, but you still need to use AirPlay - mirroring to the iMac should work exactly as mirroring to an Apple TV.

Problem with screen mirroring

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.