Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Screen Mirroring M1 Macbook to Intel iMac

I'm trying to screen mirror between a 2021 Macbook (M1 chip) and 2019 iMac Retina 5k (Intel chip). The mirroring works from the iMac to the Macbook fine. But it won't work in reverse. The Macbook won't recognize the iMac as a device to mirror to. The best Apple support could come up with was that it might be due to a difference in the chips. Has anyone experienced this and found a solution?

MacBook Pro 14″

Posted on Jun 5, 2023 2:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 5, 2023 3:10 PM

Looks like they should be compatible but that led me to a fix. On the iMac had to change the Airplay setting to "anyone on the network" then it showed up on the Macbook as an option. I was then able to change back to only "current user" and it seems to be working now.

4 replies

Jun 5, 2023 3:00 PM in response to Servant of Cats

Yes, over Airplay. At one point the support person I was talking to also suggested directly connecting them but I thought Airplay was the only option with these devices. Neither has a firewall enabled. The appropriate sharing settings are active for both. Same OS that's fully up-to-date. I'm just confused why it works in one direction but not the other.

Screen Mirroring M1 Macbook to Intel iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.