Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac only sleeps - never powers down

I am working on a MacBook Pro running 12.5.1 that never powers off fully. Whether the system is powered down with the power button or "shutdown" from the Apple menu, it appears to shut down, but immediately powers on as soon as the user presses any key on the keyboard. We have tried disabling various energy saver and sleep options and setting up a separate admin account and trying to power off but still no change.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Sep 22, 2022 5:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2022 8:28 AM

It is normal for a MacBook Pro to power on when any key is pressed. There is no option to disable that. Also see the following from Magic Keyboard for 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro - Apple Support

Turn on your MacBook Pro. Lift the lid or press any key. If you’ve set it up, you can press the Touch ID to turn on your MacBook Pro.

Note that the above support article is for the 14 & 16 inch models but the same is true for 13 inch models.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 22, 2022 8:28 AM in response to edierks

It is normal for a MacBook Pro to power on when any key is pressed. There is no option to disable that. Also see the following from Magic Keyboard for 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro - Apple Support

Turn on your MacBook Pro. Lift the lid or press any key. If you’ve set it up, you can press the Touch ID to turn on your MacBook Pro.

Note that the above support article is for the 14 & 16 inch models but the same is true for 13 inch models.

Sep 25, 2022 11:52 AM in response to FoxFifth

FoxFifth wrote:

@FoxFifth your response, with all kindness does not address the question and concern. I have the same issue. I expect to see a apple logo and hear an audible sound when powering up versus a wake from sleep. I will do reboots and the machine will appear to sleep and wake up at times as well.

New to Mac - A reference to event logging here would be great. - I am struggling with Apple's support documentation - it doesn't seem to be anywhere specific. So I google: "event log shutdown macos site:apple.com". Apple site results would otherwise not hit page 1 - is there something I am misunderstanding?

Sep 25, 2022 11:57 AM in response to FoxFifth

FoxFifth wrote:

This is a clear example of bots providing useless information I think. FoxFifth has over 50k posts. Why the keyboard link?

Mac only sleeps - never powers down

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.