Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Flash Drive not showing on iMac desktop

I purchased an 8TB flash drive to use with my iMac ( 2017 21" ) and it does not show on my desktop. It is recognized by the iMac because it shows as an USB drive on my System Info and also shows on my TechTool Pro app. What can I do to make it show on desktop so that I can use it? Thanks !

Posted on Sep 22, 2022 9:38 AM

7 replies

Oct 7, 2022 3:20 PM in response to Pezheadpaul

Pezheadpaul wrote:

• 8TB flash drive

I'm very sorry to say, but it sounds like you may have been sold a fraudulent product. An 8TB flash drive is an impossible product to currently produce.

What usually happens is a seller has an ad for a very large capacity device for a good price, such as an 8TB flash drive, and it does indeed appear to be an 8TB flash drive in software due to the tampered componets. However, it can only really hold ~50GB of data, and it will corrupt everything it does store.

So if you storage device does indeed look like this:

It cannot be 8TB, and you should replace it with a quality external hard disk, such as one from the Apple Store.

I'm sorry about this.

Jack

Flash Drive not showing on iMac desktop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.