Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transferring iTunes for Windows Library to be available on a Chromebook with Apple Music

I am currently using iTunes for Windows on a PC. There are many songs in the library that were not purchased from Apple but rather ripped and burned from personally owned CDs, casettes and even vinyl. Because I've been building this library with its associated playlists for many years, I don't want to lose it if I stop using PCs and go to the Cloud.

Since iTunes doesn't run on Chrombook without the installation of Linux, I rather just subscribe to Apple Music. If I do that, will I be able to access and transfer my PC iTunes library to my new device?

Thank you in advance for suggestions and solutions.

Windows, Windows 6

Posted on Sep 22, 2022 11:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2022 11:59 AM

If you subscribe to Apple Music and match/upload your existing collection then you should be able to access the iCloud Music Library you've created using the Apple Music app on Chromebook. With Apple Music you can add new items that are in the Apple Music catalog. What I'm not so sure of is if you would be able to rip new music from CD that isn't in that catalog to add it to your library. Whatever you do I recommend backing up the entire library you have now to an external drive so you can restore it later if needed.

tt2

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 22, 2022 11:59 AM in response to nextleveldan

If you subscribe to Apple Music and match/upload your existing collection then you should be able to access the iCloud Music Library you've created using the Apple Music app on Chromebook. With Apple Music you can add new items that are in the Apple Music catalog. What I'm not so sure of is if you would be able to rip new music from CD that isn't in that catalog to add it to your library. Whatever you do I recommend backing up the entire library you have now to an external drive so you can restore it later if needed.

tt2

Transferring iTunes for Windows Library to be available on a Chromebook with Apple Music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.