Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Import iTunes library into Apple Music

I found an old itunes library on an external harddrive and I'm looking for help explaining how I could import it into Apple Music.

I read several threads about similar topics but either they talked about migrating from PC to Mac, or from one Mac to another, or involved some fancy cloud-based syncing. I don't want to do any of that. Just trying to understand if there is an old-fashioned way of plugging in the external drive into the Mac and somehow importing the music. If so, what are the steps? Would appreciate any help here. Thanks!

Posted on Aug 2, 2023 4:35 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

Oct 14, 2023 8:36 AM in response to Joe-Plumber

Hi there.

Monterey has a problem converting .itl files. One workaround is to import an XML file generated on the old computer, but that resets all date added values. An alternative approach is to convert the .itl to the new .musclibrary format using Catalina or Big Sur. All that is needed is the file, not the media. If you don't have access to either, or a friend that might help, then you can email the .itl or a link to it to me and I can convert if for you on my old Mac mini running Catalina. You can find my email address in my profile here if you'd like me to try to help. I'm up to about 50 of these so far.

Note this should work for the file that hangs when you open it. Those that claim to be incompatible may still fail, but I'm prepared to try.

tt2

Oct 1, 2023 12:55 PM in response to Niel

I have tried this a few times but I just keep getting an infinite loading spinner. Do these files need to be in a specific place for this to work? I am choosing an old .itl file from 2018 if that makes any difference. I have several from different years and with the older files I get an incompatible file format error (even though they are all .itl.) With the 2018 file it just keeps getting hung up on the loading screen.

Import iTunes library into Apple Music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.