Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrading memory on iMac mid 2011

Hi all,

I have already installed 12 GB on my machine. I have available two slots to put 4GB in each, the other two slots already have 4GB 1.033 in each. My question is: I'm not finding the 2x4GB 1.033mhz memory to buy, seems that now there's only 1.066mhz available to be purchased (at least in my country). Will I mess up the machine if I mix the frequency? Thanks...

Posted on Sep 22, 2022 2:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2022 10:48 AM

TWO important points:

• Corsair RAM has not played well with Intel-powerd Macs. They have two tiers of RAM quality but, due to the price-sensitive nature of the aftermarket RAM business, few resellers carry the higher-priced version that seems it be OK in Macs. For me, it's Crucial or OWC, or nothing.
  • Why are you adding RAM? If you expect the computer to run faster, 12 GB RAM is not the bottleneck. We have the same model iMac with only 8GB RAM runing High Sierra 10.14, and diagnostics show it is never starved for RAM.

If your iMac is slow, it is the 11-year old, old-school mechanical hard drive. Ours has the entey-level SATA 3G 7200prm drive, which is still faster than the base storage in later 21.5-inch iMacs. (SATA 3G 5400rpm). Still, today the 100MB/sec write/read speed of the 2011 drive feels sluggish. Ours take a long time to boot and big apps like Office take long to launch.

So before spending money on more RAM for and old Mac, recosider what you expect it to accomplish. If the old HD is slowing you down, all the RAM in the world won't change that,.

Only an internal solid-state drive upgrade can help you 2011 model, and that is a complicated upgrade. NOTE: The oft-mentioned external USB SSD option does not apply to pre-2012 iMacs because they have USB2 ports. The external option might even be slower thatn what you now see, and a complete waste of money.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 23, 2022 10:48 AM in response to M_Sapata

TWO important points:

• Corsair RAM has not played well with Intel-powerd Macs. They have two tiers of RAM quality but, due to the price-sensitive nature of the aftermarket RAM business, few resellers carry the higher-priced version that seems it be OK in Macs. For me, it's Crucial or OWC, or nothing.
  • Why are you adding RAM? If you expect the computer to run faster, 12 GB RAM is not the bottleneck. We have the same model iMac with only 8GB RAM runing High Sierra 10.14, and diagnostics show it is never starved for RAM.

If your iMac is slow, it is the 11-year old, old-school mechanical hard drive. Ours has the entey-level SATA 3G 7200prm drive, which is still faster than the base storage in later 21.5-inch iMacs. (SATA 3G 5400rpm). Still, today the 100MB/sec write/read speed of the 2011 drive feels sluggish. Ours take a long time to boot and big apps like Office take long to launch.

So before spending money on more RAM for and old Mac, recosider what you expect it to accomplish. If the old HD is slowing you down, all the RAM in the world won't change that,.

Only an internal solid-state drive upgrade can help you 2011 model, and that is a complicated upgrade. NOTE: The oft-mentioned external USB SSD option does not apply to pre-2012 iMacs because they have USB2 ports. The external option might even be slower thatn what you now see, and a complete waste of money.

Sep 22, 2022 3:25 PM in response to M_Sapata

How do you get 12 GB of RAM in just two slots? I don't know of any 6 GB modules, ever!

Personally, I wouldn't get any RAM modules other than those from Crucial.com or OWC (MacSales.com). Even though a module may meet the specifications Macs are very sensitive to the quality of modules and the two vendors I mentioned are the premier Mac memory vendors and guarantee that their modules will work in the model intended as they test them.

Sep 23, 2022 1:43 PM in response to Allan Jones

I see...

Memory was the cheaper and faster solution at the moment since I can change it myself. An SSD Hard drive is on the list already but prices here are high plus the costs to send somewhere to do the work.

Worth mentioning and not sure if will help with the diagnosis is that I have 170GB left of the original 500 GB so the HD it's not completely full.

Thanks for your help!

Upgrading memory on iMac mid 2011

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.